Semaglutide / Ozempic / Rybelsus

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

I'm looking for feedback on either Ozempic or Rybelsus

I've done searches here on the diabetes.co.uk forum and I'm not seeing any folks getting prescribed Rybelsus. A few have gotten prescriptions for Ozempic and some are doing very well. So I'm wondering is the NHS not prescribing Rybelsus or has anyone experience of both variants of Semaglutide as in Ozempic and Rybelsus?

If your on either drug I'd love to hear your experiences..

Thanks

LBB

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
So I'm wondering is the NHS not prescribing Rybelus or has anyone experience of both variants of Semaglutide as in Ozempic and Rybelus?

I think maybe you need to do a search for semaglutide oral instead of rybelsus?
Semaglutide Oral (Rybelsus) Prescribing Information – BLMKCCG Medicines Management

Or maybe just spell rybelsus with the s?

Or both, since both come up in the forums.

Good luck. (Sorry, as a T1 I have no personal knowledge of either drug).

ps It might be worth your while to edit the title of your thread to correct the spelling. I can do it for you if you want?

Reactions: Antje77

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think maybe you need to do a search for semaglutide oral instead of rybelsus?
Semaglutide Oral (Rybelsus) Prescribing Information – BLMKCCG Medicines Management

Or maybe just spell rybelsus with the s?

Or both, since both come up in the forums.

Good luck. (Sorry, as a T1 I have no personal knowledge of either drug).

ps It might be worth your while to edit the title of your thread to correct the spelling. I can do it for you if you want?

Ellie

Thanks for chiming in.. Please change the typo.

A question, are you located in the UK and is Rybelsus prescribed there or is it known over there as Oral Semaglutide?

Thanks

LBB

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks for chiming in..Please change the typo.

A question, are you located in the UK and is Rybelsus prescribed there or is it known over there as Oral Semaglutide?
I've edited the typo.
I'm in New Zealand, so I just googled the NHS site to get my info, and then searched on the forums. Looks like both names are used in the NHS?

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've edited the typo.
I'm in New Zealand, so I just googled the NHS site to get my info, and then searched on the forums. Looks like both names are used in the NHS?

Ellie

Thanks for the edit.

I find it surprising given the nature of the drug that no one (so far) has responded to Rybelsus question vis a vis usage!

It feels as though the NHS doesn't seem to be prescribing Rybelsus! What I'm reading on YouTube suggests that Ozempic is the class leader. I may get a prescription at some point in time in the future..

LBB

Reactions: EllieM

PeterWATKSP

I am on Rybelsus treatment (written by my consultant on the private prescription as "Oral Semaglutide"). One month at 3mg, and around four months at 7mg. Excellent results with HbA1c down from an average of 58 to 46, and a weight loss of 8kg. No side effects whatsoever. GP is approaching the local CCG (SW London) to see if I can be prescribed on the NHS, but nobody seems very confident.
I also take 1500 mg Metformin but have now stopped Gliclazide. I was (and still am) a fairly strict follower of low carb lifestyle, but apart from keeping HbA1c fairly level around 56 - 58, no weight loss was ever achieved.
Peter

PeterWATKSP

December 2nd, 2021. Rybelsus continues to be my 'wonder drug'. After 147 days on the 7mg treatment dose my weight is down to 88kg (-12kg). The last HbA1c was down to 46 (sure it will be lower when next tested). No side effects. Eyes scanned yesterday and all very healthy. Peter

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry Peter, I only just saw you two most recent posts.

Good for you for the weight loss. What's surprised me is the lack of UK physicians (endocrinologists) prescribing either Ozempic or Rybelsus. There's a website out there called reddit that has a subsection that deals with both Wegovy and Ozempic. The stories of weight loss are amazing. I've got to make a few calls tomorrow to line up one of the doctors that I had give me a prescription for Ozempic. It seems easier to get it in the US although it is very expensive here. $860/month unless you've got a way of getting a prescription filled under insurance.

I have a rediscovered old friend who is MD in So. America. He's told me that in his country a months supply of Ozempic is about $140/pen. So I've been surprised that in the UK there's so few folks taking it!

I'm regularly hearing of folks losing 40 lbs of weight lost in 4 months on the Ozempic drug.

I hope it continues to work out for you Peter..

LBB

PeterWATKSP

With a discount agreed my my pharmacist the private prescription cost to me is £153 a month here in London. I have a one year repeat prescription, so will have to factor in at least one private consultant visit for a new prescription per year. However, the cost to the NHS of this drug would be £78 a month, so still a big mark up.

The results of tis treatment have been so good for me that I am perfectly willing to pay for it, with the hope that one day I might succeed with getting the NHS to supply it. I am seeing my GP this Friday to "have a chat about things."

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm US based now so over here its $850 or about £650/month for a single pen. I can hop over the border to Mexico with a prescription and buy it there and it should be about $1000 / 4 months supply. or $330 / month from Canada. With the 2022 coming up soon I'll try and get a prescription and see how I get on..

PeterWATKSP

December 13, 2021. My local NHS CCG (SW London) has now authorised Oral Semaglutide 7mg to be prescribed to me by the NHS. Today I collected my first two months of tablets.
Big thanks to my consultant, Dr Spring, for writing several times to my GP practice, to Richmond Medical Group for then approaching the CCG with success.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Peter,

It seems to me that there's no advertising on UK TV for semaglutide as far as I can perceive. Over here in the US, we get 30-40 adverts / day on Ozempic. I think the Ozempic (epi-pen style of injection) is more effective than the "Oral Semagulutide" (Rybelsus) but if you can use it great. Reddit has many streams on Semaglutide / Ozempic /Intermittent fasting etc.. I'm going in to see a physician in the new year..

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It seems to me that there's no advertising on UK TV for semaglutide as far as I can perceive.

I believe that advertising prescription drugs is illegal in the UK..... (From memory of when I lived there and Dr google). Happy to be corrected by a UK forumite if I'm wrong.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I believe that advertising prescription drugs is illegal in the UK..... (From memory of when I lived there and Dr google). Happy to be corrected by a UK forumite if I'm wrong.
I think you are right. They only get advertised to doctors!

D

Deleted member 538891

Hi to all,

Since i started ozempic i was 85 kg i am now 10 kg down to what i was so it must be doing me some good in that respect.
So i am really pleased.

Sparklebright62

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For anyone following this thread I got HbA1C done on the 7th of January 2022. It came in at 6.5. Over here in the USA that is considered as a true type 2 diabetic number. With the ongoing Covid I've been living in an apartment at 10,000 feet above sea level. I figured I might have had a smaller (pre-diabetic) number yet that wasn't the case.

I got a prescription and started my Ozempic journey today. I'll document everything and I'm hoping for a non-diabetic HbA1C numbers within 3-4 months.. I hope I don't get nauseous / adverse reactions. I'll keep you all in the loop..

@PeterWATKSP I hope your journey is going well do please keep us in the loop too..

Reactions: PaddyLockwood

scottya02

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi All

I'm looking for feedback on either Ozempic or Rybelsus

If your on either drug I'd love to hear your experiences..

Thanks

Type28

Hi,
I was prescribed Ozempic around six months ago. I had been offered it previously, but refused as generally I don’t like taking drugs.
Anyway six months ago was 21 stone, now just under 18 stone and type2 in remission.
I would recommend anyone to try it.
Not sure what’s going to happen when I stop taking it as it stops you feeling hungry, but a great kick start to keep the weight off.

Reactions: miriamy