SERIOUS HELP NEEDED

Vicky_roo

hI

I need to lose a minimum of 60 kilos but ideally closer to a 100

now need to be low carb low fat and moderate protein but I struggle to maintain this

has anyone experience of meal replacelments that fit that remit that might help me

oh and I dont mean low fat as in low fat products I mean just normal foods not the sugar substitutes to make low fat food but not lots of butter dairy etc to get calories up

issue is so exhausted in so much pain not managing to make meals I need so looking at dropping weight through maybe 2 meal replacements and a proper meal as need energy to swim to improve respiratory and cardiovascular health as need neurosurgery

thanks

Vicky_roo

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Vicky, welcome to the forums. Could I ask if your T1 or T2 ... Also why you don't want to do the low carb high fat way of eating. If you do low carb without replacing the carbs with fat then you will run out of energey, as the fat is used for energey when we stop eating carbs. I have lost 5st in 18 months with this way of eating ..it works .. I personally would never use meal replacements .. But if you wanted to do that then have a look at the Newcastle diet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost a third of my body weight eating low car plus increased fats (lot of butter, full fat yogurts, cheese, cream, fried stuff). It worked for me.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fancy seeing you here, Vicky :)

Given your struggles in the past, I'd be inclined to suggest the Newcastle Diet for you - can't get much simpler than 3 meal replacement shakes + 200 calories of non-starchy vegetables + 1tsp of olive oil per day. It takes all the issues of preparation and meal planning out of the equation and seems to act as a mental reset for some people dealing with food issues.

You can watch a video about the protocol here:

http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Reactions: 7 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

That is a LOT of weight to lose. Set yourself some targets, take it easy and the advice you've been given is perfect. Now back to you to carry it through. Keep well

Mike

Vicky_roo

Hi Vicky, welcome to the forums. Could I ask if your T1 or T2 ... Also why you don't want to do the low carb high fat way of eating. If you do low carb without replacing the carbs with fat then you will run out of energey, as the fat is used for energey when we stop eating carbs. I have lost 5st in 18 months with this way of eating ..it works .. I personally would never use meal replacements .. But if you wanted to do that then have a look at the Newcastle diet.
Hi Enclave
I am type two diet controlled
I lost on lchf using 20 grams carbs a day but I have liver and gallbladder issues and struggle with dairy and nuts so need to limit fats so I am not in constant pain from the body kicking off from its use but probably get away with 40% fat at a push or am aiming for that level As for meal replacements dont want to use them but must swim for cardiovascular health as have sleep apnea and well that needs addressing before operation so was looking at low carb one (cant get newcastle diet without doctor from my understanding and my doctor wouldnt agree) so was thinking use one or two a day until energy improves as I lose more weight then drop one at a time Right now I am heading towards AIP Paleo as have autoimmune diseases
Hope that helps and Well Done on your weight loss
God bless
Vicky

Vicky_roo

I lost a third of my body weight eating low car plus increased fats (lot of butter, full fat yogurts, cheese, cream, fried stuff). It worked for me.

Hi Bluetit
Well Done on your weight loss
I cant tolerate cheese or cream and try to have fried breakfast most mornings if I swim
God bless
Vicky

Vicky_roo

Fancy seeing you here, Vicky :)

Given your struggles in the past, I'd be inclined to suggest the Newcastle Diet for you - can't get much simpler than 3 meal replacement shakes + 200 calories of non-starchy vegetables + 1tsp of olive oil per day. It takes all the issues of preparation and meal planning out of the equation and seems to act as a mental reset for some people dealing with food issues.

You can watch a video about the protocol here:

http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm
Hi Indy
Thanks sweetie and that was my thoughts but cant find a way of buying it on my own which means cant find a way to access it I know we know its success just not viable if cant find someone to put me on it and monitor me Open to ideas of how to get it if you know Indy Thanks again
God bless you
Vicky

Vicky_roo

That is a LOT of weight to lose. Set yourself some targets, take it easy and the advice you've been given is perfect. Now back to you to carry it through. Keep well

Mike
Hi Mike
Yes a lot of weight to lose and ideally need to have lost the 60 kilos by end February which I know is a tall order but thats the maximum weight the team locally will operate on my tumour unless it hits the optic nerve and I lose sight then they will operate as an emergency which I definitely dont want as Im so high risk without planning would be more so Pretty sure we have six months based on results so far hence target being set so mini goals if you like is 13 kilos a month
God bless
Vicky

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mike has good intentions for his comments and I'm glad you took them constructively.

Losing a significant (4+ stone) amount of weight in a short amount of time is very taxing on your body. Making drastic changes or blindly following nutritional advice can be downright dangerous,

As Mike said, set goals for yourself and make adjustments until you reach them. Focus on a consistent approach rather than the fastest approach.

I wish you the best of luck. It will certainly be a challenge, but nothing out of reach if you have your mind set on making the necessary changes.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Enclave
I am type two diet controlled
I lost on lchf using 20 grams carbs a day but I have liver and gallbladder issues and struggle with dairy and nuts so need to limit fats so I am not in constant pain from the body kicking off from its use but probably get away with 40% fat at a push or am aiming for that level As for meal replacements dont want to use them but must swim for cardiovascular health as have sleep apnea and well that needs addressing before operation so was looking at low carb one (cant get newcastle diet without doctor from my understanding and my doctor wouldnt agree) so was thinking use one or two a day until energy improves as I lose more weight then drop one at a time Right now I am heading towards AIP Paleo as have autoimmune diseases
Hope that helps and Well Done on your weight loss
God bless
Vicky
If your Dr will not agree to a Newcastle diet, then I think it would be wise to talk to your Dr about why he is against this. As it may be a reason why you should not go on to a meal replacement drink. (years ago I had a friend who did the meal replacement drinks and she lot a heap of weight, sadly it also caused a heap of health problems. Then as soon as she ate solid food her weight returned faster than she lost it. This was why I suggested the Low Carb route, as its a way of eating .. not a diet .. I am vegetarian and I think the LCHF way of eating is easer for veggies ... not overdoing the protein side of things).

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
hI

now need to be low carb low fat and moderate protein but I struggle to maintain this

has anyone experience of meal replacelments that fit that remit that might help me

oh and I dont mean low fat as in low fat products I mean just normal foods not the sugar substitutes to make low fat food but not lots of butter dairy etc to get calories up

issue is so exhausted in so much pain not managing to make meals I need so looking at dropping weight through maybe 2 meal replacements and a proper meal as need energy to swim to improve respiratory and cardiovascular health as need neurosurgery

thanks

Vicky_roo

This is the best weightloss guide I have read, made me lose 35 kgs very easlity and maintain it. It is written by a phd neurobiologist, so it is all about the bodyfat regulation through the brain.

https://www.dansplan.com/assets/Ideal_Weight_Program_Scientific_Rational.pdf

Vicky_roo

Mike has good intentions for his comments and I'm glad you took them constructively.

Losing a significant (4+ stone) amount of weight in a short amount of time is very taxing on your body. Making drastic changes or blindly following nutritional advice can be downright dangerous,

As Mike said, set goals for yourself and make adjustments until you reach them. Focus on a consistent approach rather than the fastest approach.

I wish you the best of luck. It will certainly be a challenge, but nothing out of reach if you have your mind set on making the necessary changes.
Hi Torq

Completely agree on most of what you said however as I am need of neurosurgery to remove a tumour from my head before it causes me to go blind I do not have the privileged of consistently slower approach I need to drop that minimum of 60 kilos before end FEB before next MRI or they will wait until my sight goes before they operate Having grown up with a blind parent and knowing fully the impact that would have That cannot be an option

need to lose as fast as possible as safely as possible and yes fast loss has taxation on body completely but so does carrying 25 stone on a small frame

Will try to remain wise in my decisions

God bless you

Vicky

Vicky_roo

If your Dr will not agree to a Newcastle diet, then I think it would be wise to talk to your Dr about why he is against this. As it may be a reason why you should not go on to a meal replacement drink. (years ago I had a friend who did the meal replacement drinks and she lot a heap of weight, sadly it also caused a heap of health problems. Then as soon as she ate solid food her weight returned faster than she lost it. This was why I suggested the Low Carb route, as its a way of eating .. not a diet .. I am vegetarian and I think the LCHF way of eating is easer for veggies ... not overdoing the protein side of things).
Hi Enclave

my doctor doesnt agree with any liquid diets as she doesnt believe they work long term

I have years ago done liquid lost 8 stone gained 10 in same duration of time partly as diet was stopped suddenly not weaned back to normal eating

I have health issues and I know that such as fatty liver and gallstones so a concern and if I could consistently do lchf I would go that way its the consistently doing it that I struggle with like today I had to be up and out this morning had omelette before I left should have been home for lunch but due to family drama wasnt home until gone 3 so had lunch out and no wasnt low carb and I cant prepare all the food and as carer called in sick Thursday night after other carer had left couldnt adapt what Thursdays carer did to accommodate lack of carer on Friday My friday carer usually prepares weekend food :-* so huge impact when she calls in sick

it is what it is but I need to find something I can do consistently without help of carers as they are calling in sick too often :-(

God bless you

Vicky

Palmbay

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Loud background noise. Traffic.
I was diagnosed with prediabetes at the end of August with a fasting level of 9.6. My blood pressure was 165/90 and I weighed 18.5 stones. My doctor said I needed to drop weight seriously as I was verging on Type 2 diabetes. She prescribed statins as my cholesterol levels were also elevated. I read about the Newcastle diet and thought I would give it a go. I modified it after a month, but my weight continues to drop. I also try do a bit of exercise daily to boost the loss. I am not giving advice here as I am not qualified to do so, but if I tell you what I have done, it might help someone in the same predicament, which I totally admit, was all my own doing!
So, here goes...I get myself a 500ml shake made of Hemp milk, 2 teaspoons of "Bioglan Supergreens" (Available from Tesco cheapest, or Holland & Barrett), and 2 scoops of ASDA Meal replacement powder (same as slimfast just half the price). I pour this over my small bowl of "Natural Seeds and Grains" from Sainsbury's, and have a cup of green tea. I then go to work, and have a cup of green tea and a pint of water with a hint of orange sugar free squash. I have an office job, but can be on the shop floor also during the day, I drink as much coffee as I wish for, sweetened with a small amount of stevia granules. I try to do some simple lifting stuff during the day, followed by eating a small tin of mackerel in olive oil (drained), and drink a pint of water, the odd coffee with skimmed milk during the afternoon, then go home.
In the evening, 5.30pm, I have a stir fry with pieces of chicken breast, or prawns, mixed with Sainsbury's black bean or Chinese stir fry sauce, as these are the only 2 with a low sugar content. I really pile the plate up too. Sometimes the mediterannean veg cooked with balsamic glaze with some sweet potato mashed on top with a small amount of cheese melted is really good. I have a glass or two of red wine most evenings and 4 squares of 90% lindt chocloate. I may also eat a bag of sweet and salty pop corn, or a bag of ritz crisps, all pretty low in calories. I continue to lose weight and the doctor was amazed at how healthy I now am. I have lost 2.5 Stones, my blood pressure and Blood glucose readings are all normal. I gave her copies of the Newcastle diet, which to me is a little harsh. I eat no bread, potatoes, rice, sweets, cake etc etc (apart from those mentioned earlier). The weight loss is happening, though not at such a fast rate, as I am slowly trying to make this a life style change, rather than a diet, as my weight will soon bounce back if I head off into the eating and drinking arena I was previously in. I hope this in someway gives someone else the incentive to beat this thing too. Best of Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vicky_roo

Hi Palmbay

Thanks for sharing This week I have eaten well 90% of the time and swam 200 lengths yet I have gained weight so sick of this and yet its what it is

now the decision is made to only operate if it affects my sight as the consequences of removing tumour might create problems so as its not growing as far as we can tell leave alone

continuing to swim can only help cardio health but seeing nutritional lady Friday to help heal my body from inside out

Thanks again

Vicky

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Vicky, are you eating enough .. if you starve your body it will not really help with weight loss. If you can get into the LCHF way of eating the weight will drop, but you must eat enough fat to give you energy, and keep the carbs right down. try for 20 or 30g of carbs a day. If you go vegetarian then its easy to keep the protein down.
Remember if you eat fat your body will not need to store fat !

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I felt I had to write here - we met on another forum Vicky, it's good to see you. I write with honesty but it's from the heart - I saw that you have been tagged into a thread on binge eating so I'm coming at it from that angle x
I have had eating issues, I guess binge eating is the right description, my whole life. I still have these issues and as an addict, although I don't respond the way I used to, I know they are there with me all the time. If I let it, it can rule my life again. It's easily done and often there is no rational explanation, I can be feeling happy enough, but all of a sudden, I want to eat. I'm not hungry, but crave the sensation of different tastes, the sensation of immediate relief from the overwhelming urge to block out emotion - problem being it can be positive emotions as well as negative ones. Awareness of this is one of the key factors, that hunger isn't the issue, that satiety, a full stomach, doesn't make one feel better - it makes one feel worse.
There are no quick fixes and no magic cures, I wish there was. I do know that acknowledging this, taking on full responsibility for turning it around, lies with ourselves, no matter what else is happening in our lives. It would be great if we could look for help elsewhere, counselling, diet clubs, those that support us - but bottom line is that we know what we need to do. I won't use the word excuses because it's a cruel description and wrong, but I do use the word responsibility. If it's been a **** day and we eat crisps, biscuits, cakes, whatever..we then choose to not eat one after another, to say enough. I have seen me pour water in crisps to stop myself eating a family size packet of doritos, pour washing up liquid on a sandwich to stop myself eating another one. Some may say that this level of extreme measure needs psychological input but I disagree, it's just one way of controlling eating and an acknowledgement that I had eaten enough. I have never sought help because it's not needed, I'm an addict who happens to have an addiction of overeating. It's not important why, I could spend ages trying to find out why but if I then don't use that information to turn my situation around, then it's pointless.
I know your situation, your health issues and I understand and sympathise. But I believe that the yo-yoing with carbs and cals is making things worse for you, eating low carb with a fried brekkie then having setbacks with high carb is pushing the calorie level right up. I know about the careworkers but think you need to rethink your strategy, I am very much an advocate of a lower carb diet but not when you are struggling to stay on top of it, which I know you are xx
I'm going to be brave. I'm going to say that you need to look past the pain (amazing news on the swimming!), look past the issues with the careworkers, difficulty in getting the shopping, family problems and past problems and look to the way forward - I don't believe you will find it in meal replacement because I think you will find it impossible to stick to it - I couldn't have done it either. Be wary of subconsciously finding reasons to eat the stuff you know will add weight quickly. Be wary of using higher fat foods as a method of eating if you know at the back of your mind, you will easily slip up when out, or at home.
These aren't orders or criticism Vicky, just thoughts from somebody who has struggled too. I think a low calorie diet is what you need to be looking at, in the form of protein and veg. Only my thoughts.
Big hug and best wishes xx

Reactions: 6 people