Serious need for a sweet drink

silky1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

This is a bit of a strange one - I was diagnosed three weeks ago and quite quickly got a handle on my blood glucose levels. I've lost 11lb since being diagnosed and have joined Weight-Watchers on the Welsh Government 12 weeks free scheme - until today I'd been doing OK - the odd higher glucose level (2 above 10) which compared to 17.9 with a Hb1AC of 106 is pretty good.

My OH does the cooking in our house - had some brekkie - took a Metformin - had some lunch - took my other 500mg of Metformin - teatime I felt really sick and my OH couldn't tempt me with anything - I knew I should be eating - so eventually had a light omelette - I checked my BG before - it was 8.7 - I'd not eaten for 7 hours so it was almost like a fasting sugar.

My OH had been moving things around in the fridge and a can of lucozade was just sitting there saying "drink me" - I didn't - I had a no sugar fresh orange with more ice than juice with my omelette - trouble is - I'm still craving it - I'm sitting here daring myself not to move.

Is there some reason why I'd get such a craving (not even a snifter since the day I was diagnosed - my Blood sugar was up - I assumed that after eating and drinking the juice - the craving might go away - no such luck.

I keep wondering whether I should be taking another Metformin as my sugars are bound to rise higher now (the Metformin has quashed any desire for naughty sweet drinks

My allergies mean that pretty much every single low sugar alternative is out of bounds for me - there are one or two that might be OK (not tried yet) - but not much good to me at 11pm

For anyone who doesn't know how I got here - I had an insatiable craving for certain sweet drinks for years - I'd been screaming at the doctors for years - I've had pancreatitis twice - but I've never really had to battle with food unless it is to make me eat it - then out of the blue a suspicious brain scan caused all hell to break loose.

I'd welcome any thoughts - even if it's to tell me to stop being such a clot and see how I am tomorrow

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I keep wondering whether I should be taking another Metformin as my sugars are bound to rise higher now (the Metformin has quashed any desire for naughty sweet drinks

Not without your GPs approval ... but great work in losing that weight in such a short time :)

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Not without your GPs approval ... but great work in losing that weight in such a short time :)
I was going to say the same thing. Metformin isn't the main way to get your BGs down, that would be low carbing. Eating carbs/drinking sugar promotes carb/sugar cravings. I've managed to stop mine by eating a LCHF diet. If they came back though, I'd try to tough it out because giving in would just promote further cravings. I'd try to distract myself or eat something satisfying like thickened cream with berries, or a piece of cheese.

Reactions: 2 people