Seriously Fruity (yet sugar free) Mincemeat recipe

helenb

Dislikes
Bad service in shops and ****** drivers (and 4X4s that have never seen the countryside!).
I thought I'd share with you my favourite Mincemeat recipe which is fat and sugar free - sadly still high in carbs due to the dried fruit but still a lot more diabetic friendly than anything you can usually buy plus its ready to use in 30 mins. Here you go......

Seriously Fruity (yet sugar free) Mincemeat

75 g Dried apricots, chopped
75 g Chopped (unsweetened) dates
75 g Sultanas
75 g Raisins
12 prunes stoned and chopped (approx 75g)
6 dried figs chopped
30 g almonds, chopped
2 apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced (eating apples eg coxes - not green)
125 ml Brandy
Juice of half a lemon
Rind of half an orange
2 tbsp Orange or Apple Juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp Freshly grated nutmeg (or ground)
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1/4 tsp Allspice
Alternatively, instead of the 4 separate spices add one tsp of mixed spice.

I snip the large fruit with a pair of scissors for ease but watch your finger tips!!
Pop all the ingredients into a medium sized saucepan and bring to a low simmer. Cook gently stirring occasionally until the apple softens takes about 5 to 8 mins (it won't break down like a cooking apple). Cool a little before making the pies or keep in the fridge for up to two weeks (will also freeze for a couple of months if required).

To make into low fat mince pies use a large sheet of filo pastry, brush with a little melted butter or spray with a flavourless oil or light olive oil.
Cut into squares (make sure the square are big enough to fit into your shallow bun tin with a bit extra to spare).
Place 2 squares one on top of each other so you make an 8 pointed star into each bun hollow in your tin (make sure you have lighty oiled it or use a silicone tray) pop a spoon of mincemeat into each star and top with another square of filo and press down a little to seal the edges.
Bake for 10 to 15 mins in a moderate oven about 180 C. Serve warm.
They do reheat quite well but don't over bake as the filo burns easily.

Enjoy :) :) :)

I also have a great recipe for a fat free, sugar free, dairy free (but not enjoyment free) fruit cake that makes a great substitute for traditional Christmas Cake I'll post it when I've dug it out of my recipes.
Helen :D

hallii

That's about 250g of carb.

I estimate it would make about 40 mince pies.

Add 10g carb for the pastry ( rolled thin) so that's about 16 or 17 g of carb per mince pie.

So not to bad as long as you don't eat 10 of them!

No sugar on top though.

H

Hop
I thought I'd share with you my favourite Mincemeat recipe which is fat and sugar free - sadly still high in carbs due to the dried fruit but still a lot more diabetic friendly than anything you can usually buy plus its ready to use in 30 mins. Here you go......

Seriously Fruity (yet sugar free) Mincemeat

75 g Dried apricots, chopped
75 g Chopped (unsweetened) dates
75 g Sultanas
75 g Raisins
12 prunes stoned and chopped (approx 75g)
6 dried figs chopped
30 g almonds, chopped
2 apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced (eating apples eg coxes - not green)
125 ml Brandy
Juice of half a lemon
Rind of half an orange
2 tbsp Orange or Apple Juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp Freshly grated nutmeg (or ground)
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1/4 tsp Allspice
Alternatively, instead of the 4 separate spices add one tsp of mixed spice.

I snip the large fruit with a pair of scissors for ease but watch your finger tips!!
Pop all the ingredients into a medium sized saucepan and bring to a low simmer. Cook gently stirring occasionally until the apple softens takes about 5 to 8 mins (it won't break down like a cooking apple). Cool a little before making the pies or keep in the fridge for up to two weeks (will also freeze for a couple of months if required).

To make into low fat mince pies use a large sheet of filo pastry, brush with a little melted butter or spray with a flavourless oil or light olive oil.
Cut into squares (make sure the square are big enough to fit into your shallow bun tin with a bit extra to spare).
Place 2 squares one on top of each other so you make an 8 pointed star into each bun hollow in your tin (make sure you have lighty oiled it or use a silicone tray) pop a spoon of mincemeat into each star and top with another square of filo and press down a little to seal the edges.
Bake for 10 to 15 mins in a moderate oven about 180 C. Serve warm.
They do reheat quite well but don't over bake as the filo burns easily.

Enjoy :) :) :)

I also have a great recipe for a fat free, sugar free, dairy free (but not enjoyment free) fruit cake that makes a great substitute for traditional Christmas Cake I'll post it when I've dug it out of my recipes.
Helen :D
Hoping you might still be on this forum , I discovered the mincemeat recipe last year when my husband was diagnosed prediabetic. He turned it around in less than a year but missed having a Xmas cake last year . Do you or anyone else have a sugar-free Xmas cake recipe please x

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hop

Hoping you might still be on this forum , I discovered the mincemeat recipe last year when my husband was diagnosed prediabetic. He turned it around in less than a year but missed having a Xmas cake last year . Do you or anyone else have a sugar-free Xmas cake recipe please x
https://www.carbmanager.com/recipe/keto-christmas-cake might help. Or google Low Carb Christmas Cake or Keto Christmas Cake. There's a lot of recipes out there, some more complicated than others. I just like to make a double espresso with sugar free whipped cream. And the cream can have erythritol, or gingerbread spices, or cocao powder.... Low carb chocolate mousse is also an option (basically whipped cream with extra dark chocolate mixed in, and if required, sweetener).

Good luck!
Jo

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This may help

Low Carb Fruit Cake

This low carb fruit cake is a great alternative to a traditional fruit cake.

Ingredients
  • 170g Mixed fruit (dried) Carb 141
  • ½ cup Rum/brandy/gin
  • 230grm Almond meal Carb 99
  • 1 tbsp stevia
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1 tsp Mixed spice
  • ½ tsp Baking soda
  • 60 Grm Butter
  • 1 tsp Vanilla essence
  • 1 tbsp Almond essence
  • 4 Eggs
  • 4 tbsp rum (extra)
Carb 240
Weight 736 grm
Slice 64grm
Carbs./slice 21
  • Icing
  • ½ cup Mascarpone cheese
  • 1 tbsp Rum or brandy
Instructions
Soak fuit in rum (or other alcohol) for 1 hour or longer if you have time. Mix dry ingredients (almond meal, spices, baking soda). Add fruit and chopped nuts. Beat eggs and add melted butter, Stevia and essences and add to remaining mixture. Pour mixture into a 20 cm greased cake time. Bake at 170 degrees C for about 20 minutes or until the cake is firm to touch and a knife inserted comes out clean.
When you remove the cake from the oven, pour the remaining 4 tbsp rum over the hot cake.
When cake is cool, spread with icing (combined mascarpone cheese and rum).

Using cranberries instead of mixed fruit reduces carbs to:
  • Serves: 20
  • Serving size: 1
  • Calories: 139
  • Fat: 10.8g
  • Saturated fat: 3.2g
  • Carbohydrates: 5.4g

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it's american for almond flour. You can get almond flour from Amazon, it is finer than ground almonds. Good luck with the cake, hope you enjoy it. Because I soak the fruit for about 24Hrs and am generous with spirits it's known as Dads booze cake.

Reactions: Carol Ann Godwin
I think it's american for almond flour. You can get almond flour from Amazon, it is finer than ground almonds. Good luck with the cake, hope you enjoy it. Because I soak the fruit for about 24Hrs and am generous with spirits it's known as Dads booze cake.
One more question, your recipe says baking soda , is that bicarbonate of soda or baking powder x

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use baking powder, never thought of bicarbonate of soda as I believe it needs an acid, to produce the bubbles. Having said that soda bread has no obvious acid in it. Might try bicarbonate next time.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Noting in passing the emphasis on low fat in the recipe posted 10 years ago.

I'm now wondering if there is a high fat variant!

Reactions: HSSS

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Noting in passing the emphasis on low fat in the recipe posted 10 years ago.

I'm now wondering if there is a high fat variant!
Doesn't mincemeat traditionally have suet, that is a high fat low carb ingredient.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have mincemeat recipes which have neat's tongue and suet - only part of the recipes, though as they were just odd pages fallen out of old hand written recipe books. Usually you boil a neat's tongue until the skin comes off, chop it and for each pound of meat add a bound and a half of suet, and chop it very small again.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have mincemeat recipes which have neat's tongue and suet - only part of the recipes, though as they were just odd pages fallen out of old hand written recipe books. Usually you boil a neat's tongue until the skin comes off, chop it and for each pound of meat add a bound and a half of suet, and chop it very small again.
You would have to know what a "neat" was first.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I use baking powder, never thought of bicarbonate of soda as I believe it needs an acid, to produce the bubbles. Having said that soda bread has no obvious acid in it. Might try bicarbonate next time.
I promised a photo of my finished Xmas cake , hope you like it . Merry Christmas x
IMG_20201225_093026.jpg

Reactions: MrsA2 and Dr Snoddy

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've posted elsewhere about using 'sugarfree' candied cranberries to replace other dried fruit in mincemeat and cake - I don't like cranberry sauce etc but these are actually good.
I have a cake made with cranberries, extra spices and a tiny bit of treacle and it tastes as good as a traditional cake. Later I'll be making mince pies with a little bramley apple, candied cranberries, some lemon zest and juice, dried orange peel (sugar free), mixed spice, cinnamon and sweetener - with almond flour pastry.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked at the recipe three times and decided it is just too high in sugar - sugar is still sugar added either as fruit or out of a bag - but I did decide to have a slice of pork pie - well - it is Christmas.

Reactions: Carol Ann Godwin