Seriously - read this!

joelcam

http://www.livestrong.com/article/35900 ... -training/

Just stumbled upon the above link that is supposed to help T1's understand how diabetes and exercise work. Contains this little nugget of wisdom...."If you have type 1 diabetes, your doctor may place you on insulin therapy or alternative treatments, such as sugar pills, to give your body the insulin that it needs."

Thoughts?

JC

benedict

Administrator
If you have type 1 diabetes, your doctor may place you on insulin therapy or alternative treatments, such as sugar pills, to give your body the insulin that it needs. Your body uses insulin and converts it into glucose, which your body uses for energy. Without insulin, your body cannot make glucose.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, there are a couple of errors in the writing of this quoted paragraph:
1. A sugar pills will not help a person with type 1 diabetes produce insulin
2. The body does not convert insulin into glucose -insulin instead helps transport glucose into cells for use as energy

I have reported the article to Livestrong so they can review the article and correct any inaccuracies so anyone with diabetes reading it won't come away confused.

Moral of the story, not all health writers get their facts right :)

Benedict

joelcam

Good idea! Thanks. Your GP giving you sugar pills to give your body insulin had me in stitches! Not funny really though.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
benedict said:
Not funny really though.

I know what you mean :) there was a palm against my forehead as I read those lines.

Benedict

Time then to prune your office plantation :wink: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am so glad the hospital put me on 'Insulin Therapy' and not those sugar pills :shock: :shock: :shock:

If it wasn't so serious, it would funny.........NOT

RRB

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
mmmmm sugar pills? Ahhh whats this BG 21-22-23-24-25-------40 Im dead.
It just goes to show that any wally can post very bad advice on internet even so say reputable sites. :evil: