Set change frequency

Blondie153

Hi has anyone experienced the need to do a set change every two days? My daughter uses the paradigm quick set and the last few weeks we have noticed that on the 3rd day she is really high. We are having to do the set change in the morning rather than wait until evening as would have been the norm. Anybody any suggestions or explanations? Our usual dsn is off at the moment and I don't have great faith in her stand in.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At a pump meeting I went to I was told that how often you have to do a set change can totally depend on the person.

A few things to consider are:
Make sure you don't use any moisturiser on the skin where you intend to put the set.
Don't use Dove products on this area of skin as I've been told these are very moisturising and can cause problems with sets.
Maybe you could use some mefix tape or similar to fit the set in place - you can get this on prescription if your doctor agrees.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I started using the pump, I used to change every 3.5 days and pragmatically it was often 4 days. I had no problems. More recently I've been finding that on the third day my levels get higher (not sky high but higher than I want) so I'm now changing at about 2.5 days.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
My sets start to itch if they are in my tummy on day 3. But found if I use my bottom / hip area they don't not sure why. :confused:

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had to start changing my set after 2.5 days, rather than the recommended 3. Mostly because of itching or more recently because it starts to hurt when bolusing after 2 days. I'm using the soft 6mm cannulas but last week tried the 9mm cannula - there was some improvement so might order these ones next time.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Lucie have you changed your rate on the vibe from normal to slow?? Asked my DSN if I could change the the rate and she went, of course. Go into settings and change it, now when big doses go through, it does not hurt. Think you may have told me about the setting, when I bolsus in my tummy it hurts, but in lowered bum/hip it doe 's not on slow setting.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Julie, yes I tried it on slow but didn't really make any difference. I've found that I can use 6mm on my back but will probably need 9mm everywhere else. I hope Animas will send me boxes of each when I next order.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

jazglo

I change my set every two days as I have sensitive skin. I try to leave it three days now and again but it gets itchy and I get a lump that takes longer to heal. So two days it is....

Last edited by a moderator:

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I change every 2 days because like jazglo my skin is very sensitive. I'm also allergic to micropore so find even on 2 days I have marks that last for ages. Still better than injections though.

Blondie153

I know what you mean. My daughter has been getting lumps when her cannula comes out that is taking longer I heal than usual. She also starts to go high just before the cannula needs changing.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Blondie153 have you tried Aloe Gel, on your daughters skin ok. £8.00 a big tube but took the redness out of my sites. My DSN, said about using it might help.???

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know what you mean. My daughter has been getting lumps when her cannula comes out that is taking longer I heal than usual. She also starts to go high just before the cannula needs changing.

You can get a spray on prescription called Cavilon that puts like a film so that the sticky isn't right next to the skin. It made no difference to me but apparently its really good for sensitive skin.

Reactions: 2 people