1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Severe non proliferative retinopathy

Discussion in 'Diabetic Retinopathy' started by Joy1988, May 21, 2022.

1. Joy1988

Joy1988 · Member

Morning all,
    Just wondering if anyone can share their experiences as I’m freaking out right now!!
    So type 1 for 28 years (not greatly controlled throughout teenage years) and for many years I’ve had background retinopathy changed about a year ago to mild, I’ve now just had a letter following an eye exam to state the retinopathy is now severe! What does that even mean in real terms? I’m trying hard to get my bloods steady all of the time instead of just most and considering cutting carbs from at least some of my meals! Can anyone share their experiences? I’m so worried!
    Many thanks

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Severe non-proliferative retinopathy means that you are now at greater risk of proliferative retinopathy developing in the near future. Untreated proliferative retinopathy causes sight loss so you will likely be offered more frequent eye checks and may even be offered pre-emptive treatment to try and prevent proliferative retinopathy from developing. If it does develop, further treatment would be offered.

As always, good control of blood glucose, blood pressure and blood lipids reduces the riak of progression. This site discusses ways to improve diabetic control:- http://diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/pre-proliferative.html

I would be cautious about replacing carbs with foods containing trans or saturated fats as your eyes are already showing signs of damage. You might be better to focus on replacing high GI/low fibre/baked goods with low GI/high fibre sources of carbs.

The main thing is to continue working at maintaining good diabetic control and to attend all eye appointments offered.

3. Joy1988

Joy1988 · Member

I will have a good look at the website you suggested! Thank you for taking the time to reply!

4. Joy1988

Joy1988 · Member

That was really helpful, thank you

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook