Sex drive and metformin... Or... I miss sex ....

mossycow

Hope you don't me asking about this in a relatively anonymous place.

I'm in a very happy marriage and we have various things that get in the way of sex (who doesn't!). I'm disabled and have chronic pain, we've been working hard to be creative round this... Usual stuff too like tiredness and we have an 8 ear old..

But it was going OK, good even!

But the last few months I can feel my body just isn't up for it. And then I realised it's about the time I've been on metformin as I am type 2 diabetic.

So I had a Google and found some people had found some links... And now I am gutted

So I wondered, is there a link do you think? Any thoughts on if it will wear off? Still have a weird tummy but it's bareable .. Maybe that isn't helping.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I've not seen any posts over the months about Metformin and sex drive and I wouldn't have expected any issues - I was on full dose for years. I think you need to ask the GP to change you over the Metformin SR (Slow Release) as you are having stomach issues. the SR version is much kinder and may help overall. If Metformin continues to give you issues even after that, it's not a vital drug but you might need to really keep the carbs way down in your diet to achieve the right blood sugar and weight.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Check your thyroid. Lost libido is extremely common sign of low thyroid hormones. As is tiredness and a lot of things as these hormones are vital for every organ in our bodies.

If you GP tells you your thyroid is normal, ask for a print out of the test results and check for yourself. The normal range is wide as the ocean and that really is too wide.