1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sex

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Onlinecaroline, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Onlinecaroline

Onlinecaroline · Well-Known Member

A bit of a more delicate question. I woke up with a FBG of 5.1, almost straight after….my alarm warned me I had climbed to 7.5 and climbing. It did come back down fairly quickly.

Now I know this isn’t a huge rise but we are trying for a baby and obviously want to keep sugars as low as possible. Also with trying for a baby if this is happening regularly I realise it would have an impact in my HBA1c. Is this a normal reaction?

2. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek I reversed my Type 2 · Expert

"Strenuous exercise" can up blood sugars for a bit, as can dawn phenomenon. Both come down to your liver helping you out a bit by giving you some extra energy. If you come back down relatively quick, I wouldn't worry. ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ronancastled

Ronancastled Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Non-diabetics spike too with "exercise", add in all the endorphins being released, the brain runs on glucose.
    Missus was washing her hair a lot during my CGM trial so I didn't get a chance to do my bit for science.

• Funny Funny x 8
  4. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I would say keep trying.
    Let s call the sex High Intensity Interval Training - if you are enjoying yourself - your bg will go higher due to the adrenalin etc but 7.5 is not a huge spike and as you say it comes down again quickly as you 'recover'. Hopefully in bed.
    I assume you're on prescription folic acid more importantly?
    And also good luck. I loved my 3 type 1 pregnancies - it is a special time if slightly scary!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

It doesn't seem like an issue to me, 7.5 is still within normal range. I also wonder whether dawn phenomena was a factor, if you'd just woken up. From personal experience, I'd be more concerned about a low during such activities, as though I guess you might still get pregnant and it's not a health issue if you treat it in time, it takes any fun out of the experience. My partner knows that a beeping low alarm on my dexcom is an immediate "I need to wash my hair right now" signal. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Onlinecaroline

Thank you! Still waiting on a pre-conception clinic appointment but hopefully get one within the next few weeks.

Thanks for all the advice - it’s never happened before so just wanted to double check!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Fenn

Fenn Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

Without having a clue, those numbers sounds perfectly fine to me, why are you unhappy?

8. Onlinecaroline

My 2 reasons for asking were that the Dr has given me very tight numbers to stick to before conception of FBG below 5.5 and nothing above 7 at all if possible. Secondly, for me personally that’s quite a high number. I generally never see anything above a 6/6.5 unless carbs have been eaten.

9. Ronancastled

Ronancastled Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Your doctor may have been a bit too strict with their 7.
    We now know from CGM trials that non-diabetics spend 30 mins per day >7.8.
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ine-normal-glucose-the-results-are-in.182221/

You don't go sweating that 7.5

• Like Like x 1
  10. Onlinecaroline

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook