Sharp pain in lower left side of abdomen

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lately I have been getting a pain in my lower abdomen on the left side. I feel it when I am sitting but it's not very nice when I have to stand up. I was wondering if this could have something to do with diabetes?

If I was to describe the pain I would say it was a stabbing / throbbing type of pain. Obviously I'm not going to run to the Drs about this like a cry baby. Just wanted to get a few ideas and opinions on what it could have to do with.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lately I have been getting a pain in my lower abdomen on the left side. I feel it when I am sitting but it's not very nice when I have to stand up. I was wondering if this could have something to do with diabetes?

If I was to describe the pain I would say it was a stabbing / throbbing type of pain. Obviously I'm not going to run to the Drs about this like a cry baby. Just wanted to get a few ideas and opinions on what it could have to do with.

Could be a number of things. Not a good idea to speculate. If you have had it more than a few days, go get it checked out by doc. It is not being a 'cry baby'. Please do not neglect it.

Hope you feel better soon.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It could be many things but would not normally be connected with diabetes other than pancreatitis etc. Do see the GP as it isn't normal and it wouldn't be wasting the GP's time

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If tha pain moves round to the other side then don't put this pain off.. Get down the Drs to get it seen to ... If it's lasts for more than a few days make that appointment .... If it very intence get to A&E ASAP

John9683

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Could possibly be "Diverticulitis" especially if you have a high non soluble ibre diet or a high meat content and like your meat cooked on the rare to medium side. Had a similar problem a couple of years ago through a high meat diet and I do like my meat rare, a small pocket gets formed in your intestines and this can trap food- if does not move it can go septic and you need antibiotics. Worth looking up more detail on the net and definitely see your doctor. It is like apendicitis but on the other side.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It could well be diverticulitis as @John9683 says. Very common as we get older. Google it and see, then go to your GP.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I had similar pain a couple of weeks ago, and it turned out I had a severe kidney infection which had also caused sepsis. I could barely move after 2 days of trying to get past the pain and ended up in hospital. Wasn't expecting that diagnosis since I thought kidney pain usually = back pain, whereas my pain was on my front.

Whatever it may be, get it checked out.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Get it checked. You'll only get speculation on here because there are so many possible causes (one reputable site gives 18 possible for lower left abdominal pain)

Reactions: 2 people

surfersusie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If tha pain moves round to the other side then don't put this pain off.. Get down the Drs to get it seen to ... If it's lasts for more than a few days make that appointment .... If it very intence get to A&E ASAP
Could you elaborate on what you think pain that moves from 1 side to the other is ?

surfersusie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you suggesting the cause of the pain is if it moves from 1 side to the other side of the abdomen?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you elaborate on what you think pain that moves from 1 side to the other is ?
You've replied to an 8 year old post.
Have you spoken to your doctor?
There is no way anyone can diagnose from just this information.

surfersusie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You've replied to an 8 year old post.
Have you spoken to your doctor?
There is no way anyone can diagnose from just this information.
I'm not expecting a diagnosis. I'm merely wondering what this poster was referring to. It was very cryptic and I have been to my doctor. The fact the post is 8 years old is beside the point. Doesn't mean someone or poster can't answer

Reactions: Retanna

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not expecting a diagnosis. I'm merely wondering what this poster was referring to. It was very cryptic and I have been to my doctor. The fact the post is 8 years old is beside the point. Doesn't mean someone or poster can't answer
Ne0h last posted 7 years ago I believe, so a reply is unlikely, and there was no further mention of the pain.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@surfersusie I have pains that moves all around my insides, mainly the bowel and colon. It varies from dull throbbing pain to short sharp stabbing pains.

After seing my GP and getting tests, and one colonoscopy and ct scan done, I was diagnosed with malignant colon cancer. I hope I have elaborated enough for you.