1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sharps bin!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Seriously_Sax1989, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Seriously_Sax1989

Seriously_Sax1989 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello where can I get my sharps bin emptied?

Thanks very much, Laura :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. Westie2

Westie2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Contact the waste disposal section of the local council. Most of them have schemes whereby they collect and replace your bin. They are entitled to make a charge but not many do charge.

3. pav

pav Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I get mine exchanged at my GP's practice.

4. Saintleonard

Saintleonard · Member

I contacted my surgery and they contacted the council . Now I just call and arrange a pick up with the. Council an they supply replacement bins too.

5. -beckyb93-

-beckyb93- Type 1 · Well-Known Member

May I ask - where did u all get your sharps bins fr? I've been diabetic for 13 years and I have been on 4 injections a day and the drs n nurses are STILL refusing to give me a sharps bin! It's ridiculous - they say just to dispose of my needles in the normal bin!!
    Currently I have been using empty baby milk boxes and keeping well out of reach of everyone - I have been to my local disposal agency to be told they won't dispose of them as they are not in the efficient sharps bins which I am being told I do not require!!
    Any advice?

6. mrman

mrman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

See your dsn/consultant. They will tell your surgery to put on repeat prescription like there meant to!

7. pav

pav Type 2 · Well-Known Member

8. fractureman

fractureman · Well-Known Member

Just contact your local council refuse dept. they will supply & collect for free

9. ElyDave

ElyDave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I take mine to a local pharmacy for disposal, new one prescribed by the GP.

10. tettenhall boy

tettenhall boy · Active Member

Repeat scrip, drop off at clinic/surgery/pharmacy. Dead easy. Didn't it occur to ask what to do at the time?

11. Seriously_Sax1989

Seriously_Sax1989 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. No it didn't occur to ask at the time as I ordered my bin from amazon so no contact with nurses etc

12. Stark

Stark · Member

I get my sharps bins from my Pharmacy and then I take the filled sharps boxes to my GP whenever they are full and they are disposed of.

13. -beckyb93-

-beckyb93- Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you :) been trying to get one for years. And it's my DSN and consultant who are sayin I don't need one and I'm not entitled to one - thank you

14. g0mrl

g0mrl · Member

I get my bins on prescription from my GP. I dispose of full bins at my Diabetes Clinic (not my GP)>

15. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

hand it in at your pharmacy?
    Hana

16. dmilnes

dmilnes Type 2 · Newbie

I believe your local council - district or borough - has an obligation to dispose safely of medical sharps waste.
    Certainly my local council, Arun DC in West Sussex, provides an efficient service of collecting from my doorstep at 07:00 (on the dot!), a sealed and full bin on a set day of the week, and leaving an empty equivalent for ongoing use.
    A thorough search of your local council's website should bring this to light - try 'Cleansing', 'Waste Disposal', 'sharps', whatever comes to mind. It would be a particularly obtuse council that wouldn't do this for you. :thumbdown:
    Good luck. :clap:

17. john-f

john-f · Newbie

I buy my sharps bins from my local chemist. A 1 litre bin costs around £1.50, and almost all the chemists in my area sell them.
    When the bin is full I take it to my local chemist to be disposed of. I have never been refused this service yet.
    I live in the Manchester area.

18. sausageandmush

sausageandmush · Newbie

You can get via a repeat script at drs, or like me as I have a pump I need a larger one so rang local council who drop off a box then you call for them to collect when full then exchange for a new one, most pharmacies will take them too, once full and sealed, you can also buy from a pharmacy if no luck with prescription (only a pound or so)

19. destiny0321

destiny0321 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

my old surgery & my new surgery have put them on repeat prescription i take my full one to surgery then pick my new one up from chemist

20. ronialive

ronialive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

my doctors and pharmacy refuse to dispose of them so I use the council. The doctors only have small ones on prescription but for disposable syringes and pen needles and finger prickers they are fine. Since I have had my insulin pump they will not provide those the pump company does - which probably means that the hospital is paying for them etc.

It is not good practise to put sharps into the rubbish and if someone has a sharps injury you could be prosecuted so if your doctors refuses to prescribe ask them to put it in writing so that you are not legally liable. They will soon prescribe as this is a prescribable item.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook