1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sharps

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by scottlambert, Mar 9, 2010.

1. scottlambert

scottlambert · Newbie

:!: :x
    Ever since i was diagnosed with type 2, i have obtained and disposed of my sharps bin at the local diabetes centre.
    Today, i have driven accross town in the rush hour to get a new bin to be told they can take my old bin but can't give me a new one. I now have to go to my GP (the receptionists seem to think sharps bin = drug addict) and get one on prescription.

They say they could not possibly be expected to let everone know the system has changed, so i assume that several hundred essentially disabled people will be going on fools errands over the next few months. It is funny, but i wouldn't have thought there was a problem with people stock piling un-needed yellow plastic boxes.

To get a £2 box, it needs to go though the repeat prescription process, the pharmacist needs to have it delivered, unloaded, stored and dispensed and then the prescription pricing process needs to be gone through. A good proportion of these prescriptions will be free, so the benefit of getting the tax will be avoided.

Cost effective? me thinks not.

I now have to spend the next 3 weeks storing used needles and lancets in old tablet bottles, as it is taking that long for me to see the Quack - not on my repeat prescription is it.

I am glad there is only one 7 year old in the house

Scott

2. kegstore

kegstore · Well-Known Member

Ring your local council - in most areas they provide a clinical waste collection service, which includes sharps bins. They provide empty ones too, no need to involve the surgery at all. Round 'yer it's free but I've heard some councils do make a small charge. You'll still need to see the "Quack" :!: in order to countersign the application for the service, but that's a one-off.

3. Synonym

Synonym · Well-Known Member

Might cost £12 to get the letter signed! :roll:

4. scottlambert

scottlambert · Newbie

When i see the quack, i will get it put on the repeat prescription, as i inject (Byetta) it won't cost me a bean.

The point is that the NHS have now made the process cost the tax payer(me) 10 times the previous cost. They have changed the established way of doing things with no thought for the end user and i think it stinks.

5. mazbee

mazbee · Well-Known Member

As my Dr's practice will not supply me with BG testing supplies as I am Diet only at the moment
    I asked my local pharmacist if they could order a sharps bin for me, when I bought a BG monitoring kit with extra strips and lancets.

They got it the next day and it only cost me £1.80.
    I take it back to be disposed of when full.

6. cocacola

cocacola Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can you ask your GPs secretary to request the disposable box be put on your repeat prescription?
    I put mine in the bin :roll: but they do have a top on them. I use a Freestyle Freedom Lite and the lancets come with a top that twists off the new lancet and this can be put on the used lancet. I then just chuck in the household waste. Is this not correct :oops:

7. sugar2

sugar2 · Well-Known Member

I have had to have teh bins on my repeat prescription for a couple of years now...and agree, it doesn't seem very cost effective.

I would suggest, taht if you a have a repeat prescription request slip, you write the sharps bin on there. As it is not medicine, it doesn't really need teh Dr to add it to teh prescription, they just need to see that they also prescribe you sharps. At teh surgery I go to, they have someone on teh clerical team who can make thsi change. I would certainly try and save an unecessary trip. I often write notes on my repeat prescription...changing test strips etc, and haven't had to actually to see the Dr for any changes, other than those to actual medication.

Good luck!

8. Synonym

Synonym · Well-Known Member

I think it is a safety issue as you cannot guarantee that those tops will not come off the lancets which could then injure somebody. I was told by the hospital DN that it was important to dispose of carefully.

9. copepod

copepod Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I also use lancets that have caps, but I put them into a bottle with a childproof lid such as bleach or medicine, then seal with gaffer tape, before disposing in normal landfill waste. Seems a whole lot less environmentally damaging than extra manufacturing, transport and incineration.

10. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use the accu-chek multi click - it has six lancets in a barrel and they are completely covered so no need for a sharp box etc - they just go into your normal waste bin - saves all the hassle of having a sgharps bin and finding somewhere for used wones when you are away from home

11. lovinglife

sgharps??? - wones !?!? :oops:

OMG :lol: :lol: - can you tell I have just had a naughty treat for mothers day - a 1/4 fried slice of WHITE bread with my low carb cooked breakfast/brunch - :evil:

12. sugar2

sugar2 · Well-Known Member

Enjoy your treat! Hope yo uhave a nice mothers day.

13. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

1/4 fried slice of white bread!!!!!! :shock:

Mothers day or not.........................that's terrible! :x

Nigel 8)

14. lovinglife

It was goood! and in my defence the white bread was home baked organic - not pappy supermarket white c**p- well its a small defence but a defence all the same :wink: - did my BS before and after at 2 and 3 hrs and stayed under 7 so I am happy with that 8)

sorry for hijacking your thread OP - back to sharps

15. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

No excuse acceptable I'm afraid, you could have had a 1/5 or 1/6 of a slice instead! :lol:

Nigel

16. kay957

kay957 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I took my sharps bin to get it disposed of by Tesco pharmacy yesterday, to be honest the way the guy carried it away from me made it look like I had some kind of horrid condition, even though I had informed him the box was sealed :x I was just waiting for him to get the tongs out and a bell to shout UNCLEAN! :lol:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook