Sharps

Human_8nimal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was just wondering where I take my sharps bin once it's full? I have been told but with all the information that's been flying at me since I was diagnosed I cannot remember what they said.

Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

striple

Look on your rating authority website under clinical waste. My local authority, Mendip District Council, offer free collection. I've used it and it works.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I just hand mine in at my gp surgery, try asking yours if this is possible.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
my gp surgery take them

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also take mine to my GP. I know some local pharmacies take them too, might be worth a ring around

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to take mine to my doctors as my pharmacy wont take them for health and safety reasons! :) x

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My council has waste services replace the bin when needed. I just call or drop them an email and someone comes over to exchange for an empty bin.
My gp nor pharmacies don't take sharps.

Reactions: 2 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
My local authority, Spelthorne, run a free collection service. Phone them up and leave container at front door. I have to get a prescription for,new/ replacement container.

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe you usually return them to the original supplier. If you purchased one from a pharmacy they will have to accept the full bin back from you or give you details of a collection service. If you got one on prescription, your GP should have details of a collection service they use for their patients or accept the bin themselves.

stephiesut

Mine go back to the gp. With 2 diabetics in the house we get through loads and usually end up taking them back 5 at a time!

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
same as striple paulinab and alanp35 above. It works well.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was just wondering where I take my sharps bin once it's full? I have been told but with all the information that's been flying at me since I was diagnosed I cannot remember what they said.

Thanks

Hello, you can take your full sharps bin to the chemist, and they have a disposal method, so it's not difficult, and then order your new one and collect it there as well.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My council has waste services replace the bin when needed. I just call or drop them an email and someone comes over to exchange for an empty bin.
My gp nor pharmacies don't take sharps.

I'm the same, my local borough council collects on a certain day, depending on the postcode, so they would be making a few trips in that area, more cost affective. This time I didn't request a replacement container, because I already had two. When I phone, I just say I need a medical sharps container collected and we go from there, I have always found this service very good and efficient . God luck

RRB

Reactions: 2 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Same I just call the council,they collect mine and replace it with a new one.