1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Shielding from Corona

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by EddieA12, Apr 24, 2020.

1. EddieA12

EddieA12 · Active Member

Hi. I have been asked by my employer if I have a letter/email/text from the NHS advising that I should ‘shield’ due to being a type 1 diabetic.
    I don’t believe that I have, but I think they want this for my records and without it I’m concerned I could be told I have to go back into work (I’m currently working from home, but with limited hours due to having to look after two small children).
    Has anyone had any communication advising that they need to shield themselves?
    Thanks for your help guys.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Being Type1 in itself does not get you on the vulnerable list (ie. the shielding list), I believe some have because they have high HbA1cs - I've seen above 79 mentioned but it may depend on your doctor and if your HbA1c is around that level (or higher) you may want to ask your doctor that question.

Edit: sorry that should be 'extremely vulnerable', not just 'vulnerable'

• Like Like x 1
    #2 Rokaab, Apr 24, 2020 at 11:22 AM
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  3. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Eddie, well presumably you are in a job where it can be done from home so that is the 'social distancing' advice dished out to EVERYONE and your Employers should be following it. On top of that, you are in a vulnerable group which as already mentioned, says that you should be following the social distancing advice' stringently'. If your work suddenly said 'come in' I think they would need a very good reason in your circumstances, what do you do? As you can see it's not an easy scenario especially with the kids to look after too, my own work looks at each person individually and then makes a decision, how did you come to be working from home in the first instance, what was their approach then? x

5. alan.roberts250

alan.roberts250 Type 2 · Member

I’ve been self isolate since 6th April, I don’t have a note as it wasn’t necessary. At the time diabetics were on the at risk list then. .apparently This is no longer the case and I plan to return to work after the government’s next release regarding lock down. Your company should already know of your type 1 diabetes so you should be ok. If you are ordered into work then you would have to talk to your line manager for clarification..

• Like Like x 1
  6. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

The lists of who was on what has never changed. Just been widely misquoted and misunderstood.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. EddieA12

EddieA12 · Active Member

I work in an Office based environment, so the ability to work from home is easy (apart from the kids!). Originally all the ‘vulnerable’ people were sent to work from home. My concern was when the offices reopen and if we are advised to stay at home ie similar to the highly vulnerable group (12 weeks). Thanks for your help and comments.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Eddie - I don't know if your employer has any employees on furlough? You might find reading through this interesting.

https://www.unison.org.uk/coronavirus-rights-work/coronavirus-job-retention-scheme-qa/

• Like Like x 1
  9. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi, no I heaven't, but I remember some members on here, I think most were type 2 and it was a quite a few ago now ( but not in the extremely vulnerable group) have had phone calls from their GP telling them to isolate. Seems to depend on the surgery and GP.
    I must admit i am glad I am not in the extremely vulnerable group.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook