Shocked and stunned-New Type 1

lilibet

Hi
Finally stopped crying long enough to be proactive - though too much information on the subject can and has scared the bejesus out of me when Im already in a state of high alarm! :( . Whilst surfing came across this site.

Diagnosed 2 days ago, following only two weeks of symptoms. Diagnosis following GP visit cause I recognised the symptoms (GP didnt think it would be that, as no relatives with disease, in mid 30's etc, and not at risk of Type 2). Following blood test urgent request to attend A and E when I was then admitted for very high bs and ketones. Type 1, straight to insulin. Am managing the mechanics of bs and injecting but mood is pretty much dictated by what the bs monitor/ketostix is telling me. Still high and unstable and whilst I dont expect it to be resolved quickly, I honestly feel like throwing myself of a high building and am terrified to eat because it is raising my bs - though I know I have to

The sensible side of me knows lots of people live well with diabetes, and will and can become stable etc etc. That seems such a long way away and despite being in hospital for 3 days, it was all very perfunctory and no one has actually said to me 'it will be ok'. Meant to be getting appt at clinic today and will have to as running out of supplies for bs monitoring. I eat healthily already so not worried too much about having to give too many things up though cant actually believe i now have to live the rest of my life like this.

Noticed the carb thing on the forum, which makes a whole ton of sense to me, but like lots of people my advice for now is to just stay away from obviously sweet and sugary things. Have been told to eat carbs and dont know enough about anything to contradict anything .

Does it get better? How long did it take others (esp type 1) to get their bs stable after diagnosis and if they have let me home, even with ketones is this ok. I am terrified and exhausted and pray that the SDN is kind, helpful and understanding. Dont think I could cope with a no nonsense, matter of fact kind of person today.

Thanks, and sorry for the doom. I'm just struggling on levels I didnt think were possible
:roll:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Oh you poor thing,you sound terrified!!Welcome to the forum Lilibet we are here to answer your questions so keep asking.First off I'm not a type one so the answers I will give you will be general to diabetes as whole.There are,however plenty of experts on type one here who can give you more indepth advice on insulin etc.Carbohydrate is what you are looking for on food labels.It's the total carb level in a food you should be looking at not just the sugars.Carbs are divided into two groups,simple carbs,the sugars,which are absorbed quickly and send your blood sugar(BS) up quickly.Anything in the ingredients which ends in 'ose' or' ole' is sugar.Then you have the complex carbs,these are found in bread,pasta,rice and potatoes,the starchy foods.These are absorbed more slowly but still put up your BS levels.To get your BS levels down you need to limit the amount of carbs you eat so start by cutting down the size of portions of these things in your diet and see what effect it has on your BS when you test.Think that's enough info for a start but keep asking use anything you don't understand.It will get easier as you learn more about it.

caitycakes

Hi Lilibet, you could be an exact replica of me 2 months ago. I was same as you. I had two weeks of blurred vision, peeing for scotland and drinking like a fish. Went to docs and believe it or not he sent me to my optician who bounced me straight back to docs. A rather shamefaced GP had me admitted to hospital with a BS of 23.1 and +++ keytones. One minute I was me and the next I was a diabetic. I thought worse case scenario would be type 2 and you coud have knocked me down with a feather when the brought the needle and told me to do it myself. I will never forget that feeling until the day I die, so I know exactly how you feel, but someone should definitely have told you that IT WILL BE ALRIGHT. You won't believe it for a little while but it will sink in and you will deal with it. This forum is fantastic and it's here that you will learn everything you need to know about your diabetes from friendly, caring people who know exactly how you feel. So chin up, chill out and please believe that very soon, you will probably be answering someone else's post on this site with a complete understanding of how they feel.IT WILL BE ALRIGHT.

Regards

Lynda Type 1 age 45yrs

ChocFish

Awww Lillibet, welcome to the forum, although it would be much better if you didnt have to be here at all.

I am type 2, so dont know all that much about type 1, but there are many type 1 diabetics here who have achieved excellent control of their bg and are living perfectly happy and healthy lives, its not all doom and gloom at all, it doesnt have to be, and you dont have to have complications either, so dont even listen to the scaremongers out there.

It is a big, big shock to be hit with the diagnosis though, hell I remember when I was told, my first instinct told me to just run away, and I did for a while too....it is something to handle I admit, the fear, the shock, suddenly you go from feeling reasonably healthy to having a chronic disease.
But think about it, this is one chronic disease that you can control, you are not totally at the mercy of the hands of the medics, you take an active part in treating your diabetes. So if I have to have a chronic disease I would choose diabetes.

Read all you can in this forum, get hold of the book by Dr Bernstein, The Diabetes Solution, and ask anything you want, there is always someone in here with the right answer, some real experts who have gained their knowledge through their own, sometimes harsh, experiences and they will do their best to help you avoid the pitfalls that they had to endure in their quest for good control.

Dont beat yourself up over feeling negative and weepy, its natural, you are still in shock, but I promise you the more you learn about diabetes the better and more confident you will feel.

Come in here whenever you need support, not just questions about diabetes, but also your thoughts and feelings, between us all we have experienced the lot I promise you, and we understand what it is like and will fully support you, encourage you.

(((((((Lillibet)))))))

Love from

Karen x

lilibet

Hi again

Thanks all for the kind words and reassurance. As I said, left brain knows it will work out, but right brain still weeping intermittently. I cant believe my reaction the news. Site seems really supportive and is in fact the first forum I've ever joined.
My family are pretty stunned, and angry (at all the people out there who 'deserve' it more than me apparently! :oops: . HOwever think only others with it know how it feels. They should have a rule that diabetic med profs should have it as a prerequisite to the job. Saying that, maybe they would all be off sick too often :twisted: .

Bs high again, but no ketones (drank a ton of water today, seemed like a sensible thing to do?). Had oatcake and tiny bit half fat cheese for mid am snack but decided to have protein only lunch (lean eggs and bacon) and will see how bs is before dinner. Insulin been put up by Doc (had to phone post ketones this morning) and likely be put up again.

thanks again
L

ChocFish

Well Lilibet, the left brain and the right one are still arguing, at least you have a brain which is more than can be said for me....

Look its all normal, to feel like this and dont beat yourself up over it, you are in a state of shock, so are your family, everyone is worried because most of us only ever hear of the results of diabetes complications, the negative side of things. Of course it is unfair that you get diabetes, its unfair that I have it, its not fair on anyone at all, we know we have to deal with it, but its not so easy,not in the beginning, you get all the facts and advice and some of it coming from the professionals is actually outdated and downright dangerous in some cases and you feel like you are wading some really dark woods all on your own. Its not just physical effects, its mentally too, depression, confusion, anxiety, fear for the future, all the what ifs and so on, these things play a big role too and its often overlooked.

Go with the flow, dont hold back, crying, ranting, raving, dont bottle things up or else stress levels can have a profound effect on bg levels too, you dont want that happening, I know part of your brain wont believe me that when I tell you that it will all get better, much,much better actually.
Pamper yourself, have a nice long soak in the bath with your favourite bubble bath or shower gel or whatever, treat yourself to a bunch of flowers, anything to make you feel better.

Yes you do right to drink plenty of water if you show ketones, take your readings, keep an eye on things, is the best you can do, testing and adjusting your dose, and learn about the condition, you are on the right track there already. I wish I had been as sensible as you are at the time of my diagnosis.

Love

Karen x

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
Hi lilibet hope you are feeling a little better.It is shock at first but then as time goes on it will get better.I was only 17 when i got diagnosed in the 1970s. i was kept in hospital for 2 weeks had only 2 needles a day never in them days had any glucose monitoring machines so you wouldnt know if your sugar was low or high till you collapsed with hypo.Had big glass syringes you had to boil every week and keep in surgical spirits in the meantime.The doctors told me and my parents i could go blind lose my legs not have children and live a short life!!!when i think of that now it was disgusting.I was really depressed for years (no wonder) look how all this has changed.I have been diabetic now for 38 years.Have 4 children (had 4 sections in 5 years!!)Am very healthy live a good sociable life work holiday look after everyone else and am never sick.Mind you never get any sympathy off anyone in family anyway.I am more healthy than all them and my friends.so just carry on with your life and everything will be ok soon at least everything is so much better now and you have a brilliant diet to choose from and can eat really the same as everyone else but in moderation.Take care and you will be ok.

cyb3rminx

Dislikes
anything that is good for you
hi lilibet

i am type one and also thought that my life had gone ****up when i was told a few months ago i went throught he denile and the crying and every emotion i have. I didnt stay in hospital just got sent home with insulin and bs stuff and basicaly had to get on with it. i think some days i am still in denile untill i have a hypo and then i remeber oh yes im diabetic. You will get used to it and this forum is great always there for you . it took me about 2 weeks for the blurred vision to go and then because i went frim one extreme to the other the blurred vision came back lol. i tend to find that i am a bit like a robot some days and automatically do everything i should and others well im a bit half brained lol i have forgoten to take my insulin, taken wrong one, forgot to do bs at the right time but 9 out of 10 days im ok lol. The best advice i can give is to not look at it as a death sentance life will still go on it may never be the same but it will go on dont let it take over your life you can still be you everything just takes time but whenever you need help advice or just a chat this forum is here . chin up and keep smiling :wink: :D cyb3rminx