Shorter, more frequent walks after meals produced lower blood sugar estimates than a single walk.

A

asparagusp

Yes I read that yesterday and was going to post a thread. Fine if it's summer .....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
41 people in New Zealand...hardly a large sample and
"especially after meals with lots of carbohydrate, such as bread, rice, potatoes and pasta."
So if you don't eat any of that carbage then what...

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As a type 1 now I find all exercise raises me other than a stroll and a short one. But it still doesn't lower me.

Dark Horse

As a type 1 now I find all exercise raises me other than a stroll and a short one. But it still doesn't lower me.
The study was limited to people with Type 2 diabetes so we can't assume any of the conclusions would apply to people with Type 1.

Dark Horse

41 people in New Zealand...hardly a large sample and
"especially after meals with lots of carbohydrate, such as bread, rice, potatoes and pasta."
So if you don't eat any of that carbage then what...
As it was a randomised, controlled, cross-over trial rather than an observational study, 41 participants is not an unreasonable number. You could always suggest to the authors that they follow it up by repeating the study with LCHF diabetics. Maybe it's something they haven't thought of ...

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am only a sample of one but I agree with the article. It is a coincidence but I carried out such a test just yesterday.

Testing at 11.38 after a brunch I got a reading of 9.5. This was an unpleasant surprise so I went for a 10 minute walk. Being interested in the effect I tested again at 11.57 and I got 7.7. I may change my walking habits to capitalise on this.

shoki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am only a sample of one but I agree with the article. It is a coincidence but I carried out such a test just yesterday.

Testing at 11.38 after a brunch I got a reading of 9.5. This was an unpleasant surprise so I went for a 10 minute walk. Being interested in the effect I tested again at 11.57 and I got 7.7. I may change my walking habits to capitalise on this.
Going from 9.5 to 7.7 in 15 minutes is nothing remarkable and may not have had anything to do with the 10-minute walk! It happens to me all the time, without any walk. I think when the bg is on a slide down, it can drop like a stone in minutes!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another lucky coincidence ....

11.19am 8.8

Half a mile walk

11.47am 6.7

I am lucky that I chose exactly the right time to go for a walk.

Reactions: Energize
M

mist

I would still exercise daily even it raised my blood sugars to 100..lol..it's too important of an aspect of my life not to.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And again 8.8, half mile walk and 6.7.

I always walk early in the morning (about 3 miles) for exercise and rarely later in the day but it seems that a short walk later is beneficial as the study suggested.