FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
Hi

I thought I'd been doing pretty well as my last hba1c was 41. But I had a work trip recently where I had a big apartment and my mother asked if she coukd come along. Apparently I was going to the toilet a lot, drinking a lot and tired a lot. I think ive just got used to it, not sure what my bg was as I lost my meter few weeks ago, but often after a small dinner id be in the low teens.
Anyway my mother freaked out and phoned diabetes UK who said I shouldnt be like that and maybe I wasnt getting enough medication to deal with spikes. I play rugby and im studying for a degree, they said that would spike me too.
Im on metformin SR 1000mg per day and on my last nurse visit we were talking about me coming off it as my hba1c was fine.
So not really sure what to do, id like to have my energy back but id like to come off the pills if possible. Also not sure why im getting spikes but the hba1c is normal.

Any ideas whats best?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A few questions. Have you now got a new meter and using it? Are you overweight or have a normal BMI; also how old are you? Metformin will have no effect on sugar spikes and is mainly of use if you are overweight. If you have a normal HBa1C I wouldn't worry too much. If you are not overweight then it's possible you are a late onset T1 (LADA) not T2 (you haven't said what your diagnosis was). If you are a LADA then, sadly, you may progress and the next typically prescribed drug might be Gliclazide to stimulate the pancreas as you may be lacking a bit in insulin. Let us have more info.

FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
I wasnt going to order a new meter as I was getting high values regardless of what I was eating and there wasnt anything I could do about it. I had been using it previously to work out what was putting me high and though it was useful to begin with, it then seemed everything put me high. But I have just ordered another one today as I'd like to know where im at.
Im 37 and bmi is just below 27. Told im T2. Hba1c has gone up recently from 38 to 41. It was 89 in nov 2012.
I was on gliclazide before and it was really good, it was what brought my levels right down in the first place, I had a few hypos so I asked dr to put me on metformin, which has kept me steady. I am a bit concerned that hba1c is going up but also that the symptoms do seem to be increasing.
I did have GAD test but that was negative, not had c - peptide.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you could be T2 or LADA? Having the meter will certainly help. I think you need to control your carbs and see how your blood sugar responds. Going back on a low dose of Gliclazide again might help. You can get 40mg tablets; what were you on before? I had both GAD and c-peptide tests and although the GAD was negative, the c-peptide showed I had very little insulin shortly before I went onto insulin. There are a few other things besides GAD anti-bodies that can cause islet cell destruction. I'm not saying you have LADA but worth bearing in mind if the blood sugar continues to grow. Sitagliptin is another tablet I was on in addition to Glic and Met before insulin so there are options along the way, but the low-carb diet is a good start point

FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
Just looked at my next blood test request and it states:
Diabetes type unspecified
Not sure if this means they havent made their mind up or if they just havent filled that part out.
Im wondering if I should ask for c-peptide test, but im not sure they'll do it with my hba1c being ok.