should i be so cold when on a low carb diet

spaglemon

i have been on a low carb diet for the last 7 weeks after being diagnosed type 2
i have lost just over 2 stone ( was 18st 8 now 16 st 6 ) still want to lose another 3 stone
i always used to be very hot all the time and was particularly miserable during the summer , i even had the nickname " the furnace " at an old place of work on account of the amount of heat i generated , people actually used to put there hands on my shoulders to warm themselves up !
since starting the low carb diet and with the weather now turning colder i am finding myself to be very uncomfortably cold , my hands in particular are cold all of the time , feet are a little bit cold , i'm wearing loads of clothes in the house , heating on constantly ( much to my wifes delight as we always used to fight over the heat in the house with me turning it off all the time )
when i say my hands are always cold i mean really , really cold ! painfully cold when outside even with 2 pairs of gloves on
can this all be attributed to the big reduction in calories and a huge reduction in carb intake ( i was a massive carb consumer before ) or is this a sign of circulation problems beginning ? :shock:

thanks

Fallenstar

Hi Spaglemon

Well done on the weight loss, that is absolutely fantastic in 7 weeks :thumbup: See you've found the secret now...you'll never look back :wink:

I low carb and Can't say I have found myself any colder than when in the past I have not followed this lifestyle. Infact in the past when I have needed to lose weight and have taken the low calorie, low fat ,high fibre route...I do remember being cold then.

If it carries on go and see your GP and run it past them. Before I was diagnosed with Hashimotos which is Auto immune under active Thyroid, I had very cold extremities , and never felt warm...I went from a hot bod like you to this over night,along with a few other symptoms ,I knew something was wrong. Underactive Thyroid is common so maybe look into this.
I would like to hazard a guess it is your body adjusting to a great weight loss over a short space of time...which in the long run will only benefit you and certainly benefit your Diabetes.

Hope things settle, you will have to put one of them hand warmer thingies on your list for Santa :D

magicaldebs

Hi
I have found exactly the same thing.
I am not moaning about it because I hated being so hot all of the time. I'm just having to but cardies and jumpers for the first time in my life. I also have to wear socks all of the time, my feet do get cold.
All of blood tests are okay, I feel great, so I think its just a part of the diet. I have lost 20lb now.
Debs

daisy3174

Hi just wondering if its because your blood sugar is lower, I have found that when my sugar is high I am lovely and warm, when I hypo, unless my sugar goes back up to around 9mmol then I am absolutely freezing, just a thought.Congrats on the weight loss!x

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Definately feel the cold more since low carbing. Much happier this way though. Makes Aussie summers more bearable!! I wish you good health and lower blood glucoe levels and warm clothing in winter.