Should I be storing "in-use" NovoRapid in the fridge in this hot weather?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I forget the permitted temperature range. Is it best to pop my "in use" pen into the fridge given the high temps this week?

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a frio bag (its recommended to keep under 30 degrees), especially out of direct sunlight, you can put it in the fridge, but manufacturer doesn't recommend as apparently can cause erratic behavior. Although I haven't had a problem when storing in fridge once opened.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

The way the temps are at the moment, I've been keeping my "in use" in a Frio wallet..
I wouldn't risk it spoiling..

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that a Frio is excellent for keeping insulin pens cool enough in this weather. Really useful on summer holidays too, when fridges aren't necessarily available.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
For all you Brits, we are doing you a favour. We are acclimatising you for Australian conditions as you will need to come over to Aus for a long holiday while Boris sorts it all out for you. The bad news is 25pens of insulin will cost about $40 AU. At least the needles / caps are free. At the moment you are having an Australian average summer day (excluding Tasmania). We don’t do anything special for our insulin, just keep your insulin on you.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For all you Brits, we are doing you a favour. We are acclimatising you for Australian conditions as you will need to come over to Aus for a long holiday while Boris sorts it all out for you. The bad news is 25pens of insulin will cost about $40 AU. At least the needles / caps are free. At the moment you are having an Australian average summer day (excluding Tasmania). We don’t do anything special for our insulin, just keep your insulin on you.
Haha, yes, an absent population would do wonders, no doubt. Yes, Frio is really great, though it will dry out slowly in direct sun. And will need replenishing with tap water.