should i be taking a cholesterol tablet

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
i am a 38 year old male newly diagnosed type 2 .my cholesterol has always been below 5 and still is.my doctor told me i should be taking a cholesterol tablet as a precaution. i told her i didnt see the point and that i wanted to keep the medication to a minimum so she agreed to keep an eye on it.should i be taking the medication i would love to know what people think .i think this forum is fantastic i really feel that there is real help an good advice out there thanks :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi mullanader.

As someone who is, and has been for some time on Cholesterol lowering drugs I think I have an opinion.

Diet is the first thing that you need to address. If after you have done that for a few months nothing changes or it gets worse, then medication is the best option.

High Cholesterol can and does kill.
If left untreated you are asking for trouble. My brother died aged 49 because of it furring up his Arteries. I had a triple Bypass due to the same thing. I don't fancy another Op. So I take the tablets.
I have found since my Bg numbers have come down and my Diet has changed that all my lipid levels have fallen dramatically. Must be doing something right ?

Hope that helps.
Ken.

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
thanks i am 5 10 and was 18 and a half stone and i have gotten down to fifteen stone i keep to the diet strictly and i exercise my readings average 5.8 in the last month highest 6.3 lowest 5.0 can there be side effects with cholesterol tablets thanks for the advice

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi.

Any Lipid lowering drugs can have side effects.
I would need to know the specific drug before I could let you know what they were.
My own personal experience is that I have had none whatsoever over some 11 years.
Others sometimes aren't so lucky. Prevention is often the best way forward.

Well done with the weight loss, that can only help.

Ken.

Trinkwasser

What you really need is the breakdown of cholesterol and triglycerides AKA Full Lipid Panel. Trigs and HDL can be modified relatively easily through diet. If after that your LDL is still high consider the statin, IMO.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
mullaneder said:
excellent link thank you

They don't call him Trink the Link for nothing :D