SHOULD I BE WORRIED

Sassco

Hi all - T2 on Humulin3 + Metformin + Glicazide + Januvia. BG before lunch today was 6.2 yet 2 hours after lunch of sausage boiled egg & salad BG was 4.3 !!!! Isn't it suppose to rise? Don't get me wrong the numbers are great but I'm very confused.

EL DUDERINO

Hi Sassco,

You will find that your meal of Salad, Sausage & Egg contains only foods from the Vegetable and Protein food groups therefore they will not alter your blood glucose level.

Your Blood Glucose will only ever be affected by Carbohydrate foods, so Bread, Rice, Potato, Sugar etc will all have a raising effect on your BG.
Proteins, Fats and Vegetables/salad will have no effect (Neither will Nuts)

The drop in BG is because you had nothing in your meal to raise/maintain your BG level, but with the list of treatments your taking you will certainly have had something there that was at the time having a lowering effect on your BG level.

Hope that helps make some sense of it for you!

Klang180

EL DUDERINO said:
Hi Sassco,

You will find that your meal of Salad, Sausage & Egg contains only foods from the Vegetable and Protein food groups therefore they will not alter your blood glucose level.

Your Blood Glucose will only ever be affected by Carbohydrate foods, so Bread, Rice, Potato, Sugar etc will all have a raising effect on your BG.
Proteins, Fats and Vegetables/salad will have no effect (Neither will Nuts)

The drop in BG is because you had nothing in your meal to raise/maintain your BG level, but with the list of treatments your taking you will certainly have had something there that was at the time having a lowering effect on your BG level.

Hope that helps make some sense of it for you!

(I used to be a nurse and I've had Type I for 18years)

Not quite true, protein will definetly have an effect if little or no carbohydrate is eaten with the meal. In this case 1g protein counts for about half a carb. This is from "Think Like a Pancreas" and not just me saying it :D

That said, Sassco it sounds like you need to add some carbs to that meal, not much i am sure but with the insulin dose you are on it seems it is a little too much for a low carb meal.

EL DUDERINO

First post and already a smart-Alec contradicting...thanks Klang180
Your not wrong, protein does have a tiny effect on BG but did it really need that post? Or did you need an ego boost?
I don't care who's words they are, reality is that In your lifetime, I doubt even 1 single BG reading will be bizarre as a result of protein consumption alone.

I won't bother in future.

Sassco

Thank you both for your advice. I'm sorry it triggered some bad feelings. Please don't let this stop you from posting again. All advice is gratefully received & opinions will always vary. I would hate to think that my original posting has caused a rift.