Should I pay to go private?

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hello.
I've not been on the Forum for a while. I was diagnosed 2 years ago with a blood sugar level of 26, spent time on insulin, lost 7 stone & now as a member of my local running club run some 25 miles per week & represent the county at cross country. As a 42 year old I've turned my life around & feel great for the most part. My control Is spot on, I eat low carbs. Amybody who says you need them for energy is wrong. I eat no more than 80 grams per day.
I suppose I am a medical success with my diabetes. My issue seems to blood pressure. It's what started me running 12 months ago. I thought hard exercise might be the way to gain control but it makes no difference. I continue to be around 175/85 which my doctor refuses to acknowledge as high. A routine screening at work the other week resulted in the nurse insisting I go to the Doctor immediately, which I did & was told the same thing. You are fit, not overweight, active, heart strong & your blood pressure isn't high enough to cause concern.
This is becoming frustrating & getting me down big time but last week a doctor was alarmed when he took my blood pressure & was shocked when I told him my situation. The doctor was Tom BUPA & he was doing my Wellman check which I get through my employer. He told me my Doctor was out of order & suggested I go private as statins are not expensive & the benefits of me spending £50 per month on the tablets is nothing given the benefit they would bring.
He said a private doctor could be engaged for a couple of hundred pounds a year.
I am over the moon that a Doctor has offered to help but disappointed that my own GP is being so stubborn, particularly as my effort to get my diabetes & health in good order is obvious. I could go private but it will still cost me around £800 per year for the consulting fees & medication which in my book is a lit of money when we have a national health service.
I don't know what to do for the best. I am even considering getting in touch with the PCT or nice to discuss my situation.
Anyone have any advice?
Thanks Carl.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Carl, you have posted before about your bp and everyones advice as I remember was to go back to your gp as it was too high, your gp is obviously not going to help you so you need to get a second opinion from either another doctor at the same practice or change your gp.

You could also try insisting you are referred to a cardiologist, dig your feet in and quote what the BUPA doc has said. You should not have to go private to get a level of care that any gp should offer, stop being nice and kick some butt down at your gp's.

Not sure why the BUPA doc has suggested a statin for high pb though I thought they were just for cholesterol :? I would have thought a med to reduce your high bp would be more appropriate.

Are you still taking metformin? If you are then even if you go private you should still get free prescriptions, I think?

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Hi Sid. Apologies I meant beta blocker for BP. Don't know why I said statin( Half asleep) lol.

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
You're right I've posted before. I've got my db nurse appointment on Tuesday so will discuss it with her. I think s 2nd opinion is a good idea. I will find out how it's done.
Cheers

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Good luck with your appointment on Tuesday Carl I hope you get sorted :)

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My view would be that you are already paying a considerable amount per annum for your health care through the tax system. I'd be to tight to pay again. It would also strike me as being unfair. If you are thinking of changing doctor, why not change to a different NHS one?