Should I reduce/limit childs carb intake?????

donnamum

My daughter age 9 is type 1. I am still very confused. Should I reduce carbs, or stick to same amount per meal time or give her what she wants. She has very big appetite. I have been shoveling the carbs down her for past three months, as that is what i understood I should be doing. But after reading other topics now not so sure. We are on carb counting.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Now that is a question definitely better answered by someone who is qualified!Adults have already done their growing but adjusting a childs diet is a whole different ball-game.

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Donnamum,
I have 2 daughters with Type 1 and have been wondering exactly the same thing. I know that if I raise the issue in clinic they will shoot me down in flames!!
Sue

rio

Hi

I personally think carbs at any age should be monitored. Even low sugar varieties of breakfast cereals are misleading. I check the back of the boxes and try and ensure that I buy no more than 10g of carb sugar (ideally 5 but difficult to get) - A diabetic diet is actually a healthy diet for everyone anyway so it is just about changing lifestyle. I think the answer is just to keep kids really healthy with exercise to keep the levels low, and the carbs you do give them for energy are things like wholemeal pasta, bread and brown rice etc. Even my non diabetic children understand why a diabetic diet is better for them and no longer actually like the taste of white, high sugar, high carby stuff.

Hope this helps.
:wink: xx

donnamum

Thanx for quick replys. I have found that her diet isn't as healthy as pre diagnosis, because of extra carb intake for exercise, PE and swimmings lessons and general running around in the garden. Will keep asking the question at diabetic clinic.

Katharine

Your daughter needs a lot of calories. You can give her more protein and fat instead of just loads of carbs. Blood sugar control is easier with a lower carb diet. How far you can go will depend very much on her.