Should i start taking antidepressants?

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello guys!

I have been Diabetic 1 for 19 years now. My HBA1C has at avarage been steadily good. Im on Low Carb diet.

But last few years i have been going up in testing my blood sugar levels. From 5 times a day to between 10-15 a day. I feel it might be too much and even docors think so. But i feel that i have to have control. Im afraid of low sugars and cant really feel when its low or high.

Last 2 years i have been feeling tiredness and fatigue. Last few months i have been starting meditating, and working out as i always have. My blood pressure is good. But i cant sleep at night. I feel that im in a kind of depressions. Partly from my controlling blood sugar anxiety all the time. And other half from something else.

How can u tell if its the diabetes that causes the depressive mood or something else? For example i get tired from sudden peaks in sugar levels, as well as sudden lows can cause depressive moods.

But if this has been going on for a while. My question is: At what point is it worth considering taking antidepressants? Is it worth trying or are they doing more harm than good?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look online for some 'am I depressed' questionnaires.
There are lots of them.

Now, i am not for a moment suggesting that they replace qualified medical assessment and treatment, but they can be a very useful guide to whether you should seek that treatment.

If you have a look at several, then you will get a better perspective than if you just use one.

zebs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like there is a lot of anxiety as well. I get pretty anxious with hypos as well. I always wondered why my hypos were so bad until I realised that they were sparking off a panic attack as well. Some anti depressants help with anxiety as well, but I think talking therapies like cognitive behavioural therapy and counselling are helpful in identifying the mechanisms behind how you feel. There are also medical conditions which cause tiredness and low mood. Eg hypothyroidism, anaemia and vit d deficiency. Hope u get to the bottom of this

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kaup,

It is so easy to assume that all medical and mental health issues we experience are related/down to our diagnosis of diabetes. This is where other issues can easily be ignored or brushed under the carpet. I have had depression for 20 years now, so fully know the awful affects it has on life. I would advise you to do something about it sooner rather than later, as left untreated, it can spiral and get worse. It sounds like either your underlying depression is now affecting your mindset surrounding your diabetes or your mindset on your diabetes is causing you to become anxious/depressed. Either way, you can't go on like that. It's not a healthy way to live.

You have a few choices. You can start to do daily things to help eliviate these feelings. Go for a walk everyday, short or long, just get out of the house, away from work, and surround yourself in fresh air and nature. Make time for yourself and to do things you enjoy, whether it be reading, watching films, going to a pub quiz etc. Also getting enough sleep is very important, turning off all electronics an hour before sleeptime (ideally 8-9pm). Having a relaxing bath, and having some lavender in your bedroom. Only go into your bedroom when you've turned off your electronics (including putting your mobile down). Don't use your bedroom for anything other than sleep (or sexy times!). Spend time with loved ones, whether face to face, via skype or text, or even writing a letter. These tips should all help you feel a bit better. You already meditate which is fantastic!
If you're dedicated to trying these everyday for at least a month or two, then fantastic, but if you can't even get yourself to do these, or have indeed tried and they haven't helped then it's time to try the next option which is going to seek professional help.

Go to your GP and ask their opinion. You have two choices with them, either anti-depressants or counselling. Anti-depressants work by increasing levels of a group of chemicals in the brain called neurotransmitters. Certain neurotransmitters, such as serotonin and noradrenaline, can improve mood and emotion. This may be what you need and you don't have to be on them long term. Sometimes you just need to give yourself a break and let the medication do it's job for you. After a few months of feeling better you may be able to come off them and will be use to feeling better and have that new mindset that you can carry on with, without the medication.

Your second choice is the counselling, which considering you have a life long illness, may be worth it. Look into CBT, it is well worth a try in my opinion. It focuses on looking at the 'now' and how you can change your outlook.

I really wish you the best, but please don't leave it. Things usually don't just get better when you're dealing with possible depression. As @Brunneria said, try some online quizzes that will help you get an idea of if you're suffering from depression or not. Try the NHS Quiz here.
xxx