Should I tell?

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
I have a medical tommorrow for a job, I failed this same medical in Oct which lead to the diagnosis of diabetes :roll:

Now I'm under control I have another chance :D Thing is I don't declare I have sleep apnea and as they don't ask I don't have any problems :roll: but it is firmly under control.

I have a dilema as to if to declare diabetes even though its under control or just leave it to chance?

The other problem is I have just been given my hospital date for a cataract removal 17th Feb which means a general anestehic and at least two weeks off work :roll: It has to be a general cos of the sleep apnea so I can't blag it with a couple of days.

I don't want to loose the chance of a job although it is only a stop gap till something better turns up (if/when) I'm just afraid of loosing it through medical reasons. It'll not be the first I've lost on med grounds. My son thinks I should say nothing and if I only get a month or so from them be thankfull. On the other hand :roll:

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Play the politics game about it :twisted: If they ask about sleep apnea then tell them about it. If they ask about diabetes or chronic conditions then you'll have to tell them about it. If you're discovered later to have been mendacious about your health then you could lose your job for breaching the terms and conditions of your employment.

At the end of the day do you not want to get the job for health related issues (which could amount to a breach of the DDA on the employers part) or lose the job if it is discovered that you have been, let's say, "economical with the truth"?

Regards, Tubs.

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Will the job pose any risks to your diabetes?
Will your diabetes have any potential to become a hazard to yourself and/or others within your job? Ie... what if you went hypo? what are the risks?

Im not suggesting that your not in control, but we all have uncontrollable moments or suprises every now and then, it's the nature of diabetes!

Im guessing this isn't a regular office job... since there's a medical involved.

for example if you didn't declare diabetes going into the army you'd be in big trouble! you just couldn't afford to go hypo or run out of insulin in the battle field.. hense why diabetics can't join the army!

Personally, i would tell them, and explain that you are in control, if they feel it's a problem get them to explain WHY and talk about it.

Might be worth reading up on the disability discrimination act as well as diabetes comes under that.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
Stuboy said:
Will the job pose any risks to your diabetes?
Will your diabetes have any potential to become a hazard to yourself and/or others within your job? Ie... what if you went hypo? what are the risks?

I drive HGV and/or PSV, DVLA are aware of my condition and imposed no restrictions subject to an annual check. The med tommorrow is for PSV, with a large company, short shifts of only 6/7 hours. I see no problems as I often work 14/15 hours on HGV and frequently haul loads of up to 44 tons medium to long distance.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If you decide to go down the route of telling them perhaps a letter from your doctor backing up your claim that you are well controlled may be an idea.As you are on diet only and therefore unlikely to hypo there shouldn't be a problem as long as it is explained fully to them.Some people hear the word diabetes and automatically assume insulin/hypo etc.

jopar

You would have to say about your diabetes, but please put 'I am a DIET controlled' before the diabetic part..

Take along your Driving licence's that and if you have a letter from the DVLA which they would have sent you if you have declared the diabetic information to them...

Take along your monitoring book, so they can see how your control is going etc.

They may not want to see any of this, but it's better to have it to hand than not.

If I remember rightly, even though this is a medical for employement with the company repensentive doctor, don't they also contact your own doctor witha small questionaire, to ask about basic health and your diabetes would be flagged here!

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
jopar said:
If I remember rightly, even though this is a medical for employement with the company repensentive doctor, don't they also contact your own doctor witha small questionaire, to ask about basic health and your diabetes would be flagged here!

As far as I'm aware, "No" the original questionaire I filled in truthfullyish back in Oct never asked for Doctors disclosure, and as I wasn't then diabetic I couldn't mention it. I volunteered no additional information to the questions asked on the medical itself.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
Well I went for the medical, declared diet controlled but passed with flying colours, no trace of sugar in my water anyway. I was offered the job and accepted so I could start Monday next.

However, on the way home I had a phone call asking me to call in and see my Sons boss which I did and he offered me a job too, starting in the morning, so as that was the job I really wanted I'm taking that instead. :lol:

You wait for ages......and then two come along :lol: :lol:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Congratulations on the job,and good luck with it.My son did that,started at one firm in the morning got offered a better place where he wanted to be and was there the next morning.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
Thanks Sue, its been a rough few months, made redundant, diagnosed diabetic and finding work hard to come by. Now things are looking up again.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Congratulations Cameraman, excellent news all round then.

Regards, Tubs.

C

catherinecherub

Well done Cameraman,
I bet it feels great to be in demand. Glad that everything has worked out well for you.
Regards, Catherine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Congratulations!
Hope you enjoy your new job

James Price

Hi MY names is James Price , although I am not diabetic I am a nurse who is currently undertaking a course studying diabetes. As the course runs for another year I have found this site invaluable in its information content and support for others, diabetic and non diabetic alike.

I would like to congratulate you on getting the job you wanted and for being honest.

Dislikes
haveing diabeties
if they find out go down the stress route as the work has stressed u not to say then it there problem if u can blame them for the stress