Should I test for Keytones....

jasperc

As a regular basis or just if my boy shows signs of illness? Some people on here se to check others don't. They showed me in the hospital how to use a dip stick in a urine sample, is there a monitor you can buy which is more efficient?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As an adult I would test if my blood glucose was over 14mmol/l or if I were ill, particularly if I had diarrhoea or were vomiting for any length of time.
Because I very rarely get them and have always been able to get rid of them in a few hours (touch wood)I'm quite happy to use urine strips
but
Some children can develop high levels very quickly and children can't always explain how they feel.
Urine strips show ketones that were developed some time ago . They are sensitive for acetone rather than ß-hydroxybutyrate
which is the ketone most implicated in DKA.
If I were a parent, I were prefer to use blood ketone monitoring. There are a couple of meters that can be used for ketone monitoring. The one I think that is most used is the Optimum xceed. This is a blood glucose monitor that you can buy special strips to monitor ketones with.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose ... xceed.html

jayne15

we use the freestyle optimum which does both, the problem with the urine test it doesnt test the real time result. when my daughters bm is around 15 it will prompt a ketone test you simply put a ketone strip in and then squeeze a bit more blood out to get the result. and then the machine tells you the exact result. this informs you whether prompt action is required or in most cases not.