should i worry?

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
Just had a phone call from my DSN. She has been ringing every couple of days just to check how I'm going with the insulin and for me to give her my daily bg results. The units are going up but so is my sugars despite me not eating anything different so she now thinks i have stopped making insulin and have to go to the hospital on friday.

Is the treatment any different if i have stopped? Why did she sound so concerned and is on about me seeing a consultant?
I feel a bit stunned at the moment and dont know what to think!

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.

shop

Hiya.

My pancreas just stopped working and was on insulin straight way. When on insulin we need a long acting background insulin that covers us over 24 hrs ( known as basal.) We also need a quick acting for when we have meals ( known as bolus.) I have 1 basal injection a day ( before bed.) and 3 bolus injections with meals/ or now I am carb counting whenever I eat something.

I don't know if humulin is a basal or bolus. Your nurse may need to get you on basal and bolus regime, which hopefully reduce your bgs. Hope this helps.

Lucy.

mistee71

Dislikes
I have been on humulin for 2 weeks. Started on 8 units before breakfast and 8 before tea. That didn't do anything. Now worked up to 20 before breakfast and 18 before tea and my sugars are still all over the place. Usually 11 something before breakfast and up to 21 afternoons. Did you suffer from Chronic pancreatitis then?

mistee71

Dislikes
Thanks Defren x

shop

Hi Mistee,

Just had a look and humulin is a 30/70 mix insulin both short and long acting. So sorry if I confused you with bolus and basal. Only Trying to help..... :oops: Hope you get on Ok anyway.

Lucy.

mistee71

Dislikes
Does it make a difference then being on Humulin? What is basal and bolus?

Did you suffer from cp?

shop

Yes I started on a novo mix 30/70 with sounds like yours. 2 injections a day 30% of which is quick acting (as your pancreas would produce after a meal) otherwise known as bolus, and 70% long acting which your pancreas would produce throughout the day otherwise known as basal or background insulin.

My lifestyle meant that although I have meals at the same time. Being on a farm and having a 1 yr old (as I did at the time) meant that it was too restricting for me to be able to manage it properly. Doing different things from one day to the next. My Diabetes nurse switched me to basal bolus. I have 1 long acting injection before bed and 3 short acting with meals or whenever I eat. I found it easier and especialy now I have started carb counting which If you end up simply being treated with insulin I would highly recommed. I still eat healthily burgen bread, salads and fruit etc but I can now acurately calculate the correct does of insulin and am more in control of my BGs

Hope that whatever your nurse say/ does it helps. Feeling in control can make such a difference. I was very unhappy and deflated prior to learning to carb count. My hosp is also going to help me with this as well as the course online.

Good luck xxx

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Seeing a consultant is a good thing Mistee. Paul will tell you that! Don't worry it will get sorted in the end.

Defren

xyzzy said:
Seeing a consultant is a good thing Mistee. Paul will tell you that! Don't worry it will get sorted in the end.

That's true! Paul was and is a different person once he had seen the consultant. Much more positive these days.

shop

Hi Mistee,

Sorry I must sound so ignorant, I have just read through your posts. ( I was rushing before. ) No I dont have chronic pancreatitis. I was saying that yes I found a difference in the different types of insulin. I know that I did not become diabetic the same as you I was simply trying to give youy an Idea of how they work. Also I hadn't realised that you had not seen a Consultant yet.

As Defren says Paul is more likely to know what you are going through.

Lucy.xxx