Should my GP's Receptionist diagnose me?

mazdagirl

Hi
A couple of months ago I went along to the doctors for a general appointment. At the time my blood pressure was slightly raised and the GP decided I should have some Blood tests done as there is diabetes in my mums side of the family and although the results from my previous test (last year) was clear she wanted to rule this out. My GP asked me to have a resting ECG done at the hospital.

Having had my blood tests the GP asked me to go for another set as they were slightly high and my blood pressure was still slightly raised.

I've had these and had a phone call from the Receptionist asking me to book a Glucose Intolerance test and that in her opinion I was diabetic. As you can imagine I was shell shocked and upset about her diagnosis.

My results were: -
AC1 6.9 - within normal range apparently according to the Receptionist
Glucose 6.4
Cholesterol 6.4

Having researched the above on the internet I understand that my Cholesterol is high but can't work out what my glucose result means as there seems to be conflicting information.

Should I listen to my GP's Receptionist or wait to see what my GP says about my Intolerance results when I go to see her?

I am 36 and overweight but have been steadily losing weight since 1st January and have started an exercise plan to assist with this. So far I have lost 10.5lbs which I think is good going given I am only eating more healthily and not following a strict diet. I don't cook or add salt to my food, everything is grilled or baked and the fat is always removed from meat. I only eat small amounts of chocolate every now and again. I don't really eat crisps, never drink fizzy drinks (unless they are sugar free), don't take sugar in coffee/tea, have never smoked, try to eat 5 fruit/veg a day (although when I do I get upset tummy - I suffer from IBS) and drink very little alcohol.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Liz

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Your doctor's receptionist has NO RIGHT to diagnose. She may pass on to you what the GP has asked her to. If you are upset, have a word with your doctor.
25 years ago, my then, little girl had earache and I rang for an appointment. The receptionist asked me if it were an emergency. I thought that would be something that might scare away a timid patient( not me) and mentioned it to the doctor. that word "emergency" hasn't been used since.
Receptionits may well develop skills, but they are not to cross the bounds of their jobs.
At my health centre, they now, don't even read out blood test results unless the doctor has cleared them

C

catherinecherub

Hi mazdagirl,
When the reception voiced her opinion to you my answer would have been, "That is your opinion but may not be my Doctor's and I would like him to tell me".
There are, sadly good and bad receptionists and sometimes they need to be challenged.
Regards, Catherine.

mikeyuk

If you're with the NHS receptions can in no way diagnose anything. The one's were I work specifically won't give any information at all other than what the Doctors have added on the system to test results.

Either you're dealing with a very poor receptionist or she is simply relaying what the Doctor is saying, I'd be willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and say it's the second.

mazdagirl

Thanks for your comments guys. I'm going to mention the Receptionists diagnosis to my GP when I next see her and of course ask her whether I am diabetic or not.

Trinkwasser

At the end of the day, there's a continuum between "normal" and "diabetes", it doesn't much matter what they call it but your numbers are no longer "normal" and would probably be "impaired glucose tolerance", or diabetes lite.

Strangely the sooner you start treating yourself as if you were already diabetic the less likely you are to progress to the point you cross the diagnostic threshold. So really what they call it or who diagnoses it is a bit irrelevant.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Admin staff working for the NHS are NOT clinically trained and therefore, should not be giving out diagnoses, even on behalf of the doctor if the doctor has made the diagnosis.

Sounds like she's not very well trained and that's the fault of the practice who employ her. They SHOULD train her properly.

Medical receptionists and medical secretaries do tend to get a lot of questions from patients who sometimes won't give up asking because they're determined to get an answer from someone and that's to be expected. Patients awaiting diagnosis are often tense and in a hurry for the results.

I've been trained to say that sorry, I'm not clinically trained, I'm not a medic, I'm admin staff and therefore, can't give medical advice or diagnoses and to advise the patient to book an appointment with their GP. Even though we may have access to information about the person's diagnoses it's not our role to deliver it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Obviously the receptionist shouldn't have passed comment on the figures. An HBa1c of 6.9 implies that you should probably have a GTT to confirm or otherwise the readings. Don't panic as your good diet and exercise should continue to bring your blood sugar down anyway and this may well include the cholesterol level as well