Shoulder Dystocia

mrsguiseley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was just wondering if anyone had experienced shoulder Dystocia with their baby during a vaginal birth? I understand that a high birth weight is a common, though not conclusive, factor but I'm curious about how common it is/isn't in babies born to Type 1 Diabetics. My blood sugar control is good (HBa1c is 24) and at the 32 week scan baby was in the 90th percentile so I'm hoping the chances are low. 36 week scan this Tuesday where I'll get my induction date!!

courtenayjane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was concerned about this and asked my Ob this week. She said that it is not necessarily the overall size of the baby that matters, they also look at the ratio of head size to abdo circumference. My new Ob is fantastic about taking time to answer all my questions so I would just advise to ask them and also to make it clear that it is a specific concern that you have so that they are more aware of it during the labour. Maybe put something in your plan about asking for more checks? Mainly to reassure you that it is being taken care of!

Reactions: 2 people