Showering

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had my first shower while using the loan pump today. I disconnected, but left the pump running as instructed.

When they say remove the pump, is it OK to keep it in the bathroom, or should I put it in another room to avoid high humidity? My bathroom doesn't get too much condensation as there's an extractor or when its warm enough I open the window. When I'm in the shower longer, to wash my hair the windows mist up, but not enough to make drops to run down the window.

If I need to leave it in the bedroom I'll have to make space in a drawer - my cats have chewed the radio aerial so the tubing might be at risk if left unattended :roll:

And... if you're going to put the little cover back on the set while showering, where do you keep it between times? Could get a sterile specimen pot from the nurse, but is that necessary? That's assuming I don't drop them on the floor like I did yesterday :oops:

iHs

Hi Sue

You can leave the pump in the bathroom if you wish but make sure that it's not going to get loads of steam on it. If you want to do that then as a safeguard put in under a towel or clothes.

I usually leave mine on my pillow in the bedroom with my clothes so that when I get dressed I won't forget to connect the pump.

Don't worry about the set caps. They can be used over and over again. You don't need to keep them sterile. Some people use set caps and some just don't bother as the sets are sealed anyway so no water should enter them. It's up to you really to decide. I block mine off when I have a shower and just keep the cap in my bedside cabinet drawer ready for when I need to use it.

jopar

Mine when I'm having my bath (don't have a shower) sits on top of the toilet cistern...

Won't say how many times my daughter or OH have come down stairs with 'I know it's looks pretty on top of the cistern but!' while clutching my pump :oops:

My pump has even been dunked in the odd bucket of disinfectant at work, when I've been cleaning kennels and not come to any harm..

If you look on the back of your pump (where all the manufacturering symbols are) you should find IPX and a number... This is a waterproof rating, mines IPX-8 which means that it can be submerge under water for around an hour at 1 meter... But Roche do suggest that you avoid submergance if possible as well never know you many not have put the battery cover on tight enough, there may be a hair line crack in the cases etc that you haven't noticed... So on the safe side

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks iHs and Jopar

I'll leave it under my clothes in the bathroom then. The Veo's theoretically OK submerged for up to 30 mins, but nothing said about humidity levels. I'll keep the set cap in the bathroom or my bedside drawer, to avoid the cats chasing it around the floor. Leaving the pump under my clothes in the bathroom will keep the tubing safe - and I shouldn't forget to reconnect - eh Jopar :wink:

jopar

You wait :lol: :lol: :lol:

You just get so used to wearing the pump, that you don't realise it when it's not attached :roll:

One pumper I know once went into M&S, disconected her pump to try some cloths on, forgot to pick up the pump and reconnect it, wasn't until she had a cuppa an hour or so later that she realised what she'd done :) Thankfully somebody had handed it into the staff

josie38

You are right jopar......the amount of times ive forgotten to reconnect after bath/shower :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

never left in shop yet :lol: :lol:

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

The only time i would really recommend putting a cap on your set would be if you plan to go for a swim in water that isn't in your bathtub... like sea water for example.

I leave my pump in the bathroom, mine's quite big so condensation isn't really an issue but i think covering it with a towel is a good idea!

I also on occasion have had people deliver my pump from the bathroom. oops :)

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Actually this morning I nearly forgot to take it off for my shower! Had worn it in a soft moneybelt overnight which was so much more comfortable than clipped to my PJs, so I forgot it was there. Didn't need to find somewhere to put it while undressing for my shower either, so it was nearly too late when I realised.

Kept it in the moneybelt for work, totally unaware it was there while walking. But started feeling nauseous mid-morning. The site looks healthy and blood sugars are OK. So I've clipped it back on my waistband in case the moneybelt was too tight and causing the nausea. (Or maybe my job is to blame but that's another story.)

adele

I put mine anywhere that's out of reach from the cats as my tubing has been chewed through a number of times, while i've been sleeping. I put my pump into stop mode though.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
On a alightly related note..

I've gotten in the shower with my socks on a few times :lol: :lol:

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
adele said:
I put mine anywhere that's out of reach from the cats as my tubing has been chewed through a number of times, while i've been sleeping. I put my pump into stop mode though.

Glad my cats aren't the only chewers!

The DSN told me not to suspend for a shower disconnect. On saline its only giving 0.025 u/hr so for a 10-minute disconnect it didn't even drip.

spideog

The only time the cap would be required is if there is a chance that something solid might get into the clippy bit such that the tubing won't lock back in correctly. Think sand on a beach. Just water in the bath or shower won't be a problem though and you won't be getting bath water into yourself through the canula.

Don't have any cats to contend with myself so just leave my pump lying around where I'll remember to plug myself back into it again after the shower. But it has got well and truly drenched a few times when out running in the rain and covered in other grime with no ill effects.