Shudn't their be sum way too correct what gets wrote? - Yes, there is!

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
When it comes to communication, clarity of expression is sometimes quite important.

Everyone has their own way of writing, of course. And I don't like to be picky. But it's difficult not to notice some questionable spelling on some of the headings of the threads published on this forum.

And I make this posting just to see if I'm able subsequently to correct it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

When it comes to communication, clarity of expression is sometimes quite important.

Everyone has their own way of writing, of course. And I don't like to be picky. But it's difficult not to notice some questionable spelling on some of the headings of the threads published on this forum.

And I make this posting just to see if I'm able subsequently to correct it.

I would have been flogged at school for starting three sentences with conjunctions. Just saying :p

Reactions: 7 people

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I would have been flogged at school for starting three sentences with conjunctions. Just saying :p
I know I'm being picky, but "Just saying" is several parts of speech and a full stop short of a proper sentence!

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I know I'm being picky, but "Just saying" is several parts of speech and a full stop short of a proper sentence!
Indeed, hence the smiley. I was being cheeky :)

To be serious, I don't think a diabetes forum is any place for the spelling and grammar police. We have enough to worry about.

Reactions: 5 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think part of the problem is posts coming from portable devices where a different version of English applies :). My wife is dyslexic so I can understand the problem they have but apart from that some of the spelling could be better. My English master would be horrified by some of it! To be fair some of the posters are not from the UK and they do a great job when English isn't their native language.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed, hence the smiley. I was being cheeky :)

To be serious, I don't think a diabetes forum is any place for the spelling and grammar police. We have enough to worry about.
I agree, I have had tears rolling down my cheeks when I made some of my posts. Sorry if my some of my spelling wasn't right......my heart was though. Surely that's what counts?

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i am afraid im a very bad writer :( i think my spelling is ok but my grammar is pretty rubbish, i never did any writing in school, mainly because i was a naughty little git and left early, I've never read a book, so doing a capital letter at the start of a sentence would be important why? as long as the reader can understand what is being said, whats it matter? i don't mind the shortened text type things either as long its understandable to everyone and if it isn't thats up to the writer, if they want anyone to read it, but i see no reason why my bad grammar would affect my bad bloods :)

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.

Unless you are quoting someone the use of the abbreviated form of 'I am', in such a formal environment as this forum, strikes me as inappropriate.

;)

Reactions: 7 people

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
As I wrote in my first sentence, what I'm particularly concerned about is communication - for which "clarity of expression is sometimes quite important". Nothing controversial there, I believe. Spelling and grammar aren't always crucial; but they can be.

And spelling and grammar are just the start.

Here's a line from the official, supposedly informative thread from the beginning of the 'Type 1 diabetes' section of this forum:

"Hypoglycemia is the term for when we have low levels of glucose in our blood. A blood glucose level of under 4 mmol/l is considered to be hypoglycaemia (a hypo)."

I have no great problem with the variant spellings of the key word here. But I do have a great problem with what Wittgenstein would have called the 'logical grammar' that's on display: that is to say, the appropriate use - or otherwise - of the word 'hypoglycaemia'.

Although that's far, far worse than a mere spelling mistake, I believe it's in the very same ball-park: certain people will make precisely the same fuss when it's pointed out to them - as though one were criticising mere spelling, or mere pronunciation.

Here's a correct definition of 'hypoglycaemia': "(Symptoms resulting from) low blood glucose."

The meaning of the word is AMBIVALENT: it refers as much to behaviour as it does to blood glucose.

This may not make much difference to most diabetics. But most diabetics' condition, I believe, is pretty poorly controlled. And surely the whole point of this forum is that, by means of effective communication, diabetics' condition generally might be improved.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I wrote in my first sentence, what I'm particularly concerned about is communication - for which "clarity of expression is sometimes quite important". Nothing controversial there, I believe. Spelling and grammar aren't always crucial; but they can be.

Here's a line from the official, supposedly informative thread from the beginning of the 'Type 1 diabetes' section of this forum:

"Hypoglycemia is the term for when we have low levels of glucose in our blood. A blood glucose level of under 4 mmol/l is considered to be hypoglycaemia (a hypo)."

I have no great problem with the variant spellings of the key word here. But I do have a great problem with what Wittgenstein would have called the 'logical grammar' that's on display: that is to say, the appropriate use - or otherwise - of the word 'hypoglycaemia'.

Although that's far, far worse than mere spelling mistake, I believe it's in the very same ball-park: certain people will make precisely the same fuss when it's pointed out to them - as though one were criticising mere spelling, or mere pronunciation.

Here's a correct definition of 'hypoglycaemia': "(Symptoms resulting from) low blood glucose."

The meaning of the word is AMBIVALENT: it refers as much to behaviour as it does to blood glucose.

This may not make much difference to most diabetics. But most diabetics' condition, I believe, is pretty poorly controlled. And surely the whole point of this forum is that, by means of effective communication, diabetics' condition generally might be improved.
What? Well, I'm sorry, I must be really thick, because I can't work out what you are going on about!:confused:

Reactions: 6 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Should have been a comma after 'someone', surely?:)
No, there shouldn't be a comma. This is a restrictive relative clause and it wouldn't make sense! The test is, after having put the comma, can you remove that part of the sentence without it affecting the meaning?
In response to the OP, the issue is the auto correct function a lot of the time. I have written something and the auto correct has changed the word, altering the entire meaning. Sometimes, I type in a hurry, like now. I am using one finger as I am holding my ipad with my right hand.

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, there shouldn't be a comma. This is a restrictive relative clause and it wouldn't make sense! The test is, after having put the comma, can you remove that part of the sentence without it affecting the meaning?

Oh, good, I understand THIS anyway, so maybe there's hope for me yet.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Although that's far, far worse than a mere spelling mistake, I believe it's in the very same ball-park: certain people will make precisely the same fuss when it's pointed out to them - as though one were criticising mere spelling, or mere pronunciation.

I'm sorry but I cannot resist replying to this post. First of all, your use of "what" in the first sentence is incorrect. You should have used "that which." You have made this mistake on more than one occasion. Secondly, it is poor form to start a sentence with a conjunction. You have done this several times. Furthermore, you have used an incorrect relative pronoun, when writing about logical grammar. You need to replace "that" with "which." I could continue but it would be cruel.

equipoise

Sorry, I have to disagree on this one. The comma in this case would separate the subordinate clause from the main clause, and also clarify the meaning. But I'm sure we can disagree on big issues like this and still be friends.;)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry, I have to disagree on this one. The comma in this case would separate the subordinate clause from the main clause, and also clarify the meaning. But I'm sure we can disagree on big issues like this and still be friends.;)
Of course! This makes the "unless you are quoting someone" into the subordinate clause. Dammit! :hilarious:

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
If I communicate effectively, then I'm happy.

So what follows is for @zand, and others.

Each and every day, I quite commonly have blood-glucose readings below 4mmol/l. Not at all uncommonly, I get readings around 2mmol/l.

By and large, however (touch wood), I do not have hypos at all.

It's on account of what I eat, and the way that I eat, that I'm able to tolerate blood-glucose readings that in the past would have brought me to the floor before I might take appropriate action.

But how could my control of my condition possibly appear reasonable when, according to the definition of 'hypoglycaemia' endorsed by this Forum, I am in a semi-constant state of hypoglycaemia?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What we need now is a link to a 200 page scientific study :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Your wish is my command!
Actually, it's a link to the Oxford Dictionaries website. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/grammar-a-z#relative_clause
image.jpg

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OH NO, MO! Someone will do this now that you have suggested it and curiosity will make me read every word, and I won't understand a bit of it.:(