Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism,ignorance,nastiness,selfishness
Morning everyone,

I am after some advice please.

I am newly diagnosed Type 1 and this is first time I habe been ill since diagnosis. Since early Sunday morning I have had the sick bug that is doing the rounds.

I am a bit confused / concerned what I do about my insulin injections as I am not eating. Last night I took my insulatard as normal but since Saturday I have not taken a novarapid injection. Is this Ok? I checked my bloods yesterday throughout the day and my highest reading was 8.1, my lowest 5.4 so I dont seem to be going too high.

I dont feel hungry today and still have a poorly tummy so will the background insulin I have taken be enough for me.

I have to do the school run this afternoon and dont want to be ill whilst out.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Shelley

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Hello,

Probably best to check with your doctor. I think it is usually advised to adjust your regime and test more often when ill.

When I was in this situation I was not on a lot of insulin so it was easy to adjust but I did find it difficult to know what to eat to keep up my levels. I ended up needing diaralyte as I was not keeping in liquid and was dehydrated. But, i did have to sip slowly, or my levels would jump too high (and drinking to quickly meant I could not keep it down). Also, boiled lemonade or ginger ale were good for me (either sugar free or not depending on your levels/meds). Whatever you manage to eat or drink, I would say adjust your insulin requirements accordingly.

Hope you feel better soon.

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism,ignorance,nastiness,selfishness
Tweetypie said:
Hello,

Probably best to check with your doctor. I think it is usually advised to adjust your regime and test more often when ill.

When I was in this situation I was not on a lot of insulin so it was easy to adjust but I did find it difficult to know what to eat to keep up my levels. I ended up needing diaralyte as I was not keeping in liquid and was dehydrated. But, i did have to sip slowly, or my levels would jump too high (and drinking to quickly meant I could not keep it down). Also, boiled lemonade or ginger ale were good for me (either sugar free or not depending on your levels/meds). Whatever you manage to eat or drink, I would say adjust your insulin requirements accordingly.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you for your help and advice :thumbup: