Sick Day Rules For Pumper

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello, I'm feeling pretty rough with a chest infection. I went to A&E as I knew I needed medicine asap. I had 'elevated inflammatory markers' in the blood test which I think means I have protein showing I've got an infection.

For a week, my insulin hasn't really worked and I'm on an increased basal of 190% and double bolusing for carbs which is helping. Only trace ketones.

I've been Type 1 for 27 years and the only other time my insulin didn't work as well was also for a chest infection 16 years ago and without the pump, I ended up in DKA coma and ICU for ages. So, I'm very glad as I know I couldn't manage this time without my pump.

I'm now on antibiotics (for 24 hours) and I'm worried about keeping my insulin soooo high - would love it if anyone could advise what they've done?

Panicking the antibiotics suddenly kick in and I'm on the largest amount of insulin ever resulting in hypo I can't treat as I've got too much insulin in me. Or alternatively, I reduce insulin and end up on the other end of the spectrum.

Diabetic dilemma! Xx

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
wow -- that is a huge one in pumping terms -- only been pumping 5 months so can't help experience wise

the only thing i can think of ( **** answer really ) is set your phone alarm to wake you at 1 or 2 hour intervals and think that -- you will be testing more often than they would if you were in hospital

and for peace of mind ( for all of us who read ) -- please keep on posting on how you are progressing please.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
sorry -- just another thought -- change to a new vial of insulin ( as well as a set change)
sorry can't think of anything else :(

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Pinging @iHs and @CarbsRok as experienced pumpers.

Personally I'd just make sure my bg level was high enough before I went to bed to give me some buffer, and remember that when you're pumping it's not like you've taken a massive double sized bolus, so while you might head into hypo, if you are dropping faster than you would like, it shouldn't be as bad.

The advice to set an alarm to test is good.

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Setting alarm now! Thank you! Have already changed sets etc as never been on such an increased dose before, can't quite believe it.

Reactions: 3 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
bless you hun !!!!!
your post has me really concerned -- have you got somebody with you ?

sick day rules do work but only to a point and realistically you are winging it beyond the rules
hopefully the antibiotics will improve things gradually !

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
bless you hun !!!!!
your post has me really concerned -- have you got somebody with you ?

sick day rules do work but only to a point and realistically you are winging it beyond the rules
hopefully the antibiotics will improve things gradually !
I'm ok and not alone. I did mention my concerns to A&E and asked to go on sliding scale as I'm so sensitive normally to insulin and if I suddenly become better, I'd love a glucose IV! They should have a mini glucose vial in the pump Yeah, agree RE winging it!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ok -- take care and hope you get some rest tonight
please post tomorrow AM with how you are doing - big trouble if you don't :D:eek:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
are you keeping levels steady though ?

and thanks for the update
sending all my best thoughts for your antibiotics to kick in today ~~~~~~~~~:cool:

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A couple of years ago I had a virus (thought it was a chest infection but doc said no, so no antibiotics.) My basal was up at 200% at one point, but only for 24 hours. As I started to recover, my blood sugar didn't drop suddenly - I only had to reduce my basal slowly. I am insulin sensitive too, so you probably don't need to worry, just keep on testing.

Hope you get better soon!