Sick day!

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bleurgh.

Been the worst 24 hours diabetes wise for a long while. Spent the weekend looking after the other half who was in bed with what appears to be Norovirus. It is a strong relationship that can handle looking after your other half when she appears to have suddenly morphed into young Regan from the Exorcist movie!

I'd been flat lining between 4-6.5 for over 24 hours yesterday, suddenly starting feeling nauseous,then vomiting, seems I've picked up what my partner had :arghh:.

Set myself up for a rough 24-48 hours and get to bed.

Weirdly enough rather than going high as I would expect when being ill, I had a protracted low, the type of which I've not experienced in 20 years of Type 1, sugar sat at 2.8 and continued dropping despite the consumption of 20 glucose tabs over an hour period.

I was low for almost two hours, despite massive glucose intake. I'd not bolused or eaten for a few hours and had no insulin on board apart from my basal which is finely tuned. So good knows what was going on.

Because of this protracted low, I don't increase my basal. Foolish boy.

I wake up vomiting during the night blood sugar is 17mmol and blood ketones are 4.6 restless legs and shallow breathing. I turn the pump up to 200% basal, take a large correction, wait, test again in two hours, it's not budged. Several corrections later and six hours later it starts to come down, ketones then showing as LO, but have since climbed back up again. :depressed:

I have contacted my DSN who has been great, phoning me hourly, it was touch and go for an A and E visit this morning, but things seem to be sorting out slowly. Will be testing hourly both blood and ketones.

Moral of the story is, if you're type 1 and have a sick spouse, quarantine them in a tent in the garden and don't go near them without a bio hazard suit ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 13 people

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like youve had a ****** few hours! Hope that you get better soon! & Ive always found Lucozade works wonders for me when im ill! Hope that helps and I hope youve relegated your partner to the shed while you take full custody of the bed and bathroom for the next few days! Get better soon xx

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds horrible.

In my experience sickness bugs/food poisoning have never caused any rise in BG.

I've had a few colds and Hand, Foot & Mouth once since diagnosis and they made my BG go crazy.

Hope you feel better soon @buckley8219

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's sods law really, had a fantastic few weeks blood sugar wise, have a HbA1c coming up soon and I was confident of being in the 5% club, been sat at 6.1/43 for over three years now, every HbA1c test comes back the same to within the decimal ha.

That's the thing about diabetes, when you think you have it nailed it rears its ugly head and bites you on the derrière :banghead:

Bring on 2015 and a cgm!

Reactions: 2 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's sods law really, had a fantastic few weeks blood sugar wise, have a HbA1c coming up soon and I was confident of being in the 5% club, been sat at 6.1/43 for over three years now, every HbA1c test comes back the same to within the decimal ha.

That's the thing about diabetes, when you think you have it nailed it rears its ugly head and bites you on the derrière :banghead:

Bring on 2015 and a cgm!

It's unpredictability is the only thing that is predictable!

Hope it doesn't effect your HbA1c too much.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recovered but still not right, gone from waking up between 4.5-5.5 in the mornings to waking up at 11, guess my body is still trying to fight it off.

Gah!

Travelling enthusiast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's unpredictability is the only thing that is predictable!

Hope it doesn't effect your HbA1c too much.

My favourite quote yet: Its unpredictability is the only thing that is predictable!
Sometimes I need to remind myself of this, so frustrating when your body doesn’t work the way it is meant to. At least you’re on the mend and I'm sure you will be back to great levels soon. :)
Also I'm intrigued that there is a 5% club, I thought just being in the 6% club was grand, more work to be done clearly…..

kat1989

How do you managd to keep sugars as normal as possible though when being sick as obviously no one wants to eat being bad.
This is one thing i dread as ive recently been diagnosed as type one and hate the thought of being ill scares me as i dont k ow what effect it will have on me?

cazhug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
ignorant people
I feel for you I have had the similar problems. Started vomiting on Monday afternoon, did not eat, inject or take any of my meds got up Tuesday morning checked my BG and it was 10.6. I thought it would have been very low. Its now Thursday and I am still not eating (but taking my meds) stopped vomiting yesterday but feel so ill and nauseous an unable to face work (who by the way are being oh so understanding NOT). My blood sugars have not got any lower than 9.6 all week. So i am just going to sit it out