Sick of people ramming IF down my throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Joined the LCHF FB group...only to be told IF can be done in any circumstances after I said it doesn’t not work for me. I thought I was joining a group to talk about LCHF. If I wanted to be with a bunch of IF devotees I would have joined a group for that.

It does not work for me. I have no intention of doing it now. Why is this such a huge problem for people? Seriously!?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I joined a LCHF forum elsewhere and found all they talked about was keto, which is fine, but not my thing. As I didnt want to do keto, I had nothing to talk about.

I think we just have to keep looking around.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven’t found a FB group for Type 2s that doesn’t have a very rigid agenda of one type or another, so I just hang around here for my Type 2 on line support. I think generally everyone here is far more accepting and supportive of individuals choices to do what suits them best.
I agree with your view on IF, it doesn’t work for me either.

Reactions: OrsonKartt and No2D

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Some people latch on to a particular aspect of diet and it becomes a kind of religion to them and they seem unable to stop evangelising about it. I would love to try IF but cannot so I take in what is said as a matter of interest and then move on. If a 'tactic' works for someone then that is great but I loathe the phrase 'If I can do it anyone can', NO! That just means *you* can do it and it has worked for *you*. I learned quickly here on DCUK that different members have had different results even when on the same approach, so I have a clear understanding that, indeed, one size does not fit all and that your size now may not reflect your size in the future. Being narrow in your chosen options imo may stall improvement in the future, just something that everyone should bear in mind. If that makes sense.

Reactions: No2D

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
its not difficult to understand why faster rave over it if it works for them. but as no one has the same body no one will have the same body needs. i love the lchf diet but sorry not fasting for 2 or 3 days a week. it really is each to there own.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always recall.......The Emperors New Clothes when I hear stories like this.
A lot of people in the crowd can see something's not right, but fear being the ones to speak up for fear of ridicule.

It's easy saying you do something in the one dimensional world of Facebook but we live in a three dimensional world.

P.s. I made love to the wife 8 times last night and then got up early to go for a jog, came back and we made love again.
Now if I can just find another few guys to join me on this topic it could take off big time:):):):)

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers guys. Having found this forum in particular the best place for advice, I thought a FB group run/endorsed by the same would be similar. I tried IF a long time ago pre-diagnosis when I was just embarking on the freelance world and I found it affected my concentration to write so much it was actually more of a hindrance than a help. Also by that time I had been using MFP to lose weight and so I wasn’t really looking for that much of a lifestyle change as it wasn’t really needed.

I think the assumption is people are only using LCHF to lose weight... I lost a ton as part of my symptoms at diagnosis so was told at had to stabilize everything, I want to use it to keep my BG levels down and manageable.

Sure I can do with coming down a bit more but in a controlled fashion and having halved my A1C in three months I think I am doing ok in my own way.

Cheers peeps!

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Joined the LCHF FB group...only to be told IF can be done in any circumstances after I said it doesn’t not work for me. I thought I was joining a group to talk about LCHF. If I wanted to be with a bunch of IF devotees I would have joined a group for that.

It does not work for me. I have no intention of doing it now. Why is this such a huge problem for people? Seriously!?
I'm getting it too. I'm even getting PMs from one person who has only had diabetes 5mins and I've had it 14yrs. I think I know what my body is capable of by now....which includes my mind!!!
Some people.
I bet same one?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I don't think some pushy people think IF can cause more problems for people who have already too many.
Why experiment with something which doesn't work for every diabetic?
Low carbing is variable but IF isn't!!!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Cheers guys. Having found this forum in particular the best place for advice, I thought a FB group run/endorsed by the same would be similar. I tried IF a long time ago pre-diagnosis when I was just embarking on the freelance world and I found it affected my concentration to write so much it was actually more of a hindrance than a help. Also by that time I had been using MFP to lose weight and so I wasn’t really looking for that much of a lifestyle change as it wasn’t really needed.

I think the assumption is people are only using LCHF to lose weight... I lost a ton as part of my symptoms at diagnosis so was told at had to stabilize everything, I want to use it to keep my BG levels down and manageable.

Sure I can do with coming down a bit more but in a controlled fashion and having halved my A1C in three months I think I am doing ok in my own way.

Cheers peeps!
Well done @RFSMarch. :)

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is this the Facebook group done by the people who run this group diabetes.co.uk? if so, I didnt have a happy time there and left.
yes it is... and I was genuinely shocked as the response and the rebuke came to my initial 'Thank you for the add' post... noted and maybe this is not a group to stay in

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried IF a long time ago pre-diagnosis when I was just embarking on the freelance world and I found it affected my concentration to write so much it was actually more of a hindrance than a help
So you haven't tried it while following a low carb way of eating?
The reason I ask it that when I was eating carbage the thought of missing a meal for an hour would have sent me into a meltdown. Since embracing LCHF/Keto I find it easy to go without food for extended periods. It has been a quite unexpected benefit to running on fat.
So situations change as do people ..you often complain about non suitable food being available at the tournaments so to some who are fairly experienced at this an extended fast for a few hours would seem to be a very sensible suggestion until you can get to some more suitable fare.

Reactions: woodywhippet61

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you need to take time to adapt to any change in eating regime. For breakfast I used to eat special K, then changed to porridge, then had a cheese omelette instead, and recently just had a piece of carrot with hummus. I now find I can skip breakfast completely as my body got used to eating less at that time of day. Avoiding breakfast and late night snacks seems to be my formula for not gaining weight.

I lost a lot of weight with LCHF, but my weight flatlined for about 5 months. I finally started to lose a bit more with the help of intermittent fasting, but it is very gradual change. I have not noticed any reduction of concentration.

In the "Fat Head" Tom Naughton found he had better concentration on a higher fat diet. So at the end of the film after the month of eating high fat "junk food" he ate higher fat quality food and found he was more productive.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP @RSFMarch has said they dont want to do IF, or talk about doing IF, so why are posters on this thread now talking about ways they can do IF? Respect the wishes and statements of the person who started this thread!!! It is precisely this sort of response which is unwelcome.

O

oh_dear_me

I left a "low blood sugar group" on face book because for me it was just too preachy. I'm also finding a LCHF face book group is going the same way. People posting how they can't believe how many carbs people eat etc etc Everyone on there is trying to lower their carb intake but 20g a day...that's an apple! It's too low for me...great if that works for you but why do people then have to be all shock and ridicule if someone has 50g or 80g a day...it's up to them.
The group is a LOW carb group not a ketosis group. I'm finding it all very frustrating.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP @RSFMarch has said they dont want to do IF, or talk about doing IF, so why are posters on this thread now talking about ways they can do IF? Respect the wishes and statements of the person who started this thread!!! It is precisely this sort of response which is unwelcome.

And there was me thinking that the forum was about sharing what has worked for us..as I say in my post people change.. something that may have seemed completely outrageous suddenly can be found quite achievable. We are all n=1 experiments so without knowing what to try how can we expand our knowledge?

Status
Not open for further replies.