Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wasps
Flies
I wonder if you could help me?

I was off work at the beginning of the year due to stress, which had a knock on effect on my diabetes making my blood sugars run higher than normal. I was off for approximately 4 months, and went back to work hoping the situation would change and the stress would diminish. I had a meeting with HR who then had a meeting with the manager involved. On my return I had a 1:1 meeting with my manager who said that due to my absence I was put on what I'll call a 'watch' list. Basically any more sickness absence and I'll start getting written warnings etc.

The stress situation hasn't been resolved at all and has in-fact got worse, again causing high blood sugars, and causing me to have an infection that has taken 2 x antibiotics and 2 weeks to clear. I would love to change jobs as I really do not enjoy where I am working (I have worked for the company for 6 1/2 years, but only in this department for just over a year). I struggle with my blood sugars as it is, which causes me frustration, tiredness and low mood without the added stresses from work.

Can anyone inform me where I stand legally? Any info would be much appreciated.

lauren_gee_x

I think it would be a good idea for you to speak to a union rep from your company :)
sorry not much use but thats what ive done when ive had problems with my absence

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
The fact that you have worked there for a long time gives you a lot of ground legally. They cannot start giving you warnings for genuine illness, so as long as you have all the relevant documentation from your doctor, then you would win any argument easily.

I think the best thing would be to talk to them though. Not the idiot that you had the one to one with, as they clearly don't care. Is there someone else at work more senior that you can talk to? HR department should be a good starting point.

If applicable, Union Rep as mentioned below is not a bad idea (if applicable in your workplace), but I always think that it's better to give the company a chance to do the right thing first of all. Failing that there is the CAB available to offer free and impartial advice.

Good luck.

RussG

Hi

I'm not sure about some of that advice. As far as I know, provided you have worked there long enough to qualify for sickness pay etc, and are not on probation etc, there should not be any difference on how you are treated depending on length of service. People can be dismissed through medical incapability, although that is a fairly hard line and I don't think that's what's being done here. You would also have to usually be offered alternative roles etc.

Definitely get the advice of a union. As a T1 you are covered by the disability discrimination act. It's important to accept, though, that this does not make you bombproof when it comes to managing sickness. If your company has a bigish HR dept, ask one of them to clarify a) the procedure and b) your rights.

I don't want to worry you with this but you do need to take advice and tackle the situation - it won't go away if it's ignored.

Diabetes.co.uk website
Can an employer sack me for having diabetes?
If your diabetes renders you incapable of performing your job, despite reasonable adjustments and the possibility of moving to a different role being considered, you could be dismissed on fair grounds.

If your diabetes has lead you to be off work for a long time and you are unlikely to return to work soon, an employer could be acting within their rights if they choose to terminate your position. What is seen as a long time will depend on the type of work you do.

In your case it is a bit more complex as the diabetes is an aggravating factor in your illness, not the root cause.

ACAS (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) have a free helpline for people in dispute with their organisation:

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2042