Sickness during the Honeymoon Phase

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So over the Easter weekend I came down with a stinker of a cold, my first bout of sickness since being diagnosed diabetic last September, and I was fully prepared for an increase in blood sugar and possible ketones especially as I haven't been able to do my usual exercise and even resorted to tinned soup one day. But not a thing, my blood sugar has remained exactly how it was before I came down with a cold. Now maybe I am just lucky, and if so I had better by a lottery ticket, but did anyone else who has gone through the honeymoon period find that getting a cold didn't cause them any changes in blood sugar as their pancreas coped with the sudden illness?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the issue is that we become more resistant to insulin when we have a cold as our body attempts to fight off foreign bodies.

In theory, if you were still making enough insulin to regulate your blood sugar (factoring in the insulin resistance) it would have no noticeable effect on your blood sugar levels.

The other thought is that some people find that they aren't affected by colds or sickness. Those people are rare, and you may very well be one of them, but it does happen.