Signed contract but now they want to do another medical before employment.

Turner90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have recently been offered a position as a prison officer after a long vetting process (approx 6 months) I have signed the contract and sent it back. However they have just come back to me and said I have to pass the medical again before I can start the job. I have already handed my notice in at current employer so I am in a real mess.

Anyone else had this kind of issues with employers? What did you do to seek advice?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You say they need you to pass the medical again. Does this mean you already passed it once? Do you think you'll fail it the second time you take it?

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have recently been offered a position as a prison officer after a long vetting process (approx 6 months) I have signed the contract and sent it back. However they have just come back to me and said I have to pass the medical again before I can start the job. I have already handed my notice in at current employer so I am in a real mess.

Anyone else had this kind of issues with employers? What did you do to seek advice?
Did they know about your type 1 diabetes when you went for your first medical? If so they may just be wanting to check that you can keep it under control.

Turner90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You say they need you to pass the medical again. Does this mean you already passed it once? Do you think you'll fail it the second time you take it?
I had a face to face meeting with a Dr and he advised me I failed it due to my hba1c not being 59 or below.. However 2 weeks later I was given a start date and a contract to sign.

Turner90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did they know about your type 1 diabetes when you went for your first medical? If so they may just be wanting to check that you can keep it under control.
Yes they knew and they have been given doctors notes and also blood test results.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a face to face meeting with a Dr and he advised me I failed it due to my hba1c not being 59 or below.. However 2 weeks later I was given a start date and a contract to sign.
It's possible that they sent out the contract and start date in error, ie someone failed to notice to failed medical. If you were told you'd failed the medical then it would be odd for you to get the job offer and I think personally I'd have queried the offer

Reactions: Dodo

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Sounds like some kind of miscommunication between the doctor and the people doing the hiring. Any chance you'll have an acceptable HbA1c when they re-test?

Turner90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like some kind of miscommunication between the doctor and the people doing the hiring. Any chance you'll have an acceptable HbA1c when they re-test?
I am hoping so.. it was 62 5 weeks ago so just praying it's come down further.

Reactions: Alison54321

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It's not a great situation for you, but I wish you good luck.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
It is not a great situation to be in, but you should be aware that prison officers have to pass an annual fitness test. There may be all sorts of reasons why you have been asked to test again. If you want to know then ask the Prison Service, they are usually very honest, brutally so sometimes. If this is what you want to do then make it happen, show that you have good control of your diabetes. You will find great teams, hard work, a forces sense of humour and honesty, but they have no time for anyone who tries to make excuses, is bigoted or does not pull their weight, at least that is what I found when I worked temporarily for the Service. Good luck.

Reactions: Turner90

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know, obviously. But given you're passed everything else, and it's taken them a long time to vet you, I would imagine they would want to employ you, if they can.

So hopefully you can get your HbA1C down. Do you have Freestyle Libre? it is the best friend ever for getting it down.

Turner90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know, obviously. But given you're passed everything else, and it's taken them a long time to vet you, I would imagine they would want to employ you, if they can.

So hopefully you can get your HbA1C down. Do you have Freestyle Libre? it is the best friend ever for getting it down.
Yes I do freestyle libre. It's fantastic so fingers crossed this works.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oooooh. I bet that all feels uncomfortable.

It could be useful to have a look here, and maybe give them a call: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_...1.2112953566.1527021738-2033675035.1526767621 They're more likely to be able to guide you on the legal position and what, if any, next steps you should be taking now.

Good luck with it all.

argospeter

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I think you will find it’s the time lapse between your first medical and time evolved you say it’s about 6 months from first medical. Sounds about right. As long as you feel fine and no ill effects so to speak! Don’t let it worry you, easily said than done. Stay calm! And it does help, deep breathing then relax.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
You can get an estimated hbA1C from your freestyle libre. Also, when you have an hbA1C the results are weighted slightly in favour of the most recent blood sugars, so apparently (or so I've been told) you can skew things in your favour if you keep your blood sugars extra tight before the test.
A small number of people genuinely have inaccurate hbA1Cs (eg if their red blood cells last unusually long or short). If you think you're one of these try asking for a fructosamine test as well, which will average the last few weeks of blood sugars.

Good luck.

smwsmw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You can get an estimated hbA1C from your freestyle libre. Also, when you have an hbA1C the results are weighted slightly in favour of the most recent blood sugars, so apparently (or so I've been told) you can skew things in your favour if you keep your blood sugars extra tight before the test.
A small number of people genuinely have inaccurate hbA1Cs (eg if their red blood cells last unusually long or short). If you think you're one of these try asking for a fructosamine test as well, which will average the last few weeks of blood sugars.

Good luck.
I didn’t realise humans could get fructosamine levels done - my cat has diabetes too and his Lantus dosage is guided by fructosamine levels!

KPJ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Turner90, I think the prison service is so short of staff, as long as you meet there criteria for diabetics you should get in.
As a retired prison officer, I wish you well, it’s a funny old job but if you take to it you will be well rewarded.
Good luck. KPJ

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have done it!!! I finally start my prison officer training tomorrow. All medical completed and vetting completed.
I hope you'll find it a wonderful job with the best colleagues! And don't forget the inmates. I have been on that side, and most of us are just like everybody else, happy to cooperate with anyone who'll see us as a person and listens to our problems, not so cooperative with the occasional a*****e :)

Reactions: Alison54321