Simvastatin and bg levels

Libbyloo

Hi, I've not been posting for a while, but would be grateful for any information/advice.

Three weeks ago I saw the DSN at the surgery and as my cholesterol was raised to 4.7, she suggested I start taking Simvastatin. I'm on levemir and novo rapid. I was on a split dose of Levemir (2 units at midday and 3 units at 11pm) with novo rapid at 0.75 units per 10g of carbs being the maximum dosage depending on the meal I'm eating as the ratios differ for each one. I've got a very low BMI and am coeliac. My last 'H1 thingey' was 7 in August.

I've taken the Simvastatin for 3 weeks and since then my bg levels have been really raised, I've had to increase the Levemir to 2.5 units at midday and 3.5 units at 11pm. I've also had to increase the novo rapid but I just can't get a handle on it and keep it on an even keel. I was wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience of if you had any ideas what may be causing it. I'm going to see the DSN this Friday to discuss it with her and see if there is something else she can suggest.
Thanks,
Libbyloo

hallii

It depends on the dose to some extent, I take a low dose of Simvastatin (10mg) and find it makes little or no difference to my BGs, but then I am T2 so it might not be the same for you. Higher doses of simvastatin can cause BG rises and are supect as a contributing cause of T2.

As usual the only way to find out how it affects you is to do a trial for a couple of weeks not taking it, you should not stop or change medication without discussing it with your doc. of course.

There are other types of drug for lowering chloresterol and if simvastatin does affect your BGs one of those might be a better bet.

H

Libbyloo

Thanks hallii, I've also done a bit of digging on the net this morning and it appears that there may be a link with Simvastatin affecting the absorption of insulin which would then account for increasing bg levels. I'll certainly discuss it with the DSN on Friday and see if there are any other alternatives.