simvastatin ...

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
I know there have been a few threads on this subject but I wondered if any of the brainy ones might shed some light ...

I only took one dose of this tablet (40mg) and suffered bad back end (urgh) and muscle pain ... but almost 2 weeks later and whilst the tummy has returned to normal service I am still having considerable and intense muscle pain in my shoulders, elbows and a worsening in my carpal tunnel - is this likely to be a coincidence or can one dose of the cheapo statin really do that to you?

Background - I've had a really ****** cough now for almost ages (almost 2 months) but I don't usually have this kind of pain in my shoulders ...

Thoughts? Am I being queen of hyperchondria?

Ta in advance :) x

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya jem,
im not a brainy one lol but was exactly the same,saw my dsn and she changed me to ezetemibe which works differently,its got my chol perfect and ive had no side effects at all,been on it about 3yrs
hope this helps
amanda

bonerp

Jem
Sivastatin is (apparantly) the cheapest statin so its the starting point for most people. I'm on it but seem to be ok - bit achy but have a bad back anyone so its anyone guess as to whether this makes it worse. I take it maybe twice a week - when I remember.

I've never been happy taking it cos cant eat grapefruit any longer whist on this!

Paul

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
thank you both so much for your replies :)

I shall I think insist on changing to another type and if that doesn't get met with enthusiasm, then maybe jsut take myself off it and try to find something in the supplementary market that might help :)

CHEERS X

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
What is your cholesterol,Jem? Do you really need a statin in the first place? Doctors/nurses have this standard policy that if you are diabetic they put you on Aspirin and a statin 'to reduce risks' .

Jem

Dislikes
It's "only" 5.something Sue ... so probably not that high, but as I'm veggie it probably should be lower. I am not adverse to taking medications at all, I want to live longer and better and more able and defo without the blinking complications, buuuuut that said, I'd like to be able to lift my arms about my head without wincing!!

xxx

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Jem,
I'm no expert but its surprising that after one dose you experienced problems.I had similar symptoms but only after a few weeks of treatment, try googling Simvastatin :twisted: side effects, and you will get a lot of info.

Cheers Graham

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Jem said:
It's "only" 5.something Sue ... so probably not that high, but as I'm veggie it probably should be lower. I am not adverse to taking medications at all, I want to live longer and better and more able and defo without the blinking complications, buuuuut that said, I'd like to be able to lift my arms about my head without wincing!!

xxx

What about other causes unrelated to medication or diabetes,Jem.You're a guitar player ,for instance,RSI?? You lift children maybe, or other heavy objects.I get sore shoulders at work wrestling with combative patients.Is you computer chair ergonomically the best for you.Again I have had sore shoulders typing a lot.Think about any changes lately,more time doing one particular thing for instance.Just a thought.

Jem

Dislikes
That's the problem - the only changes made have been as a consequence of the pain, I got a new pillow because I thought it might improve the situation, yes I play guitar but I only started that some years after I had the carpal tunnel ... (never said I was sane) ... I have looked around the old tinterweb and there's lots of nastiness about this product but I thought that it's better to seek knowledge from people whose opinion I trust a little more (yep, that's you lot) than a bunch of random strangers. I adore wiki- but must always remind myself that its uploaded by members of the public ... so yes, aparently it's possible that one dose can have such an impact, but it's really starting to get beyond a joke, what with the two month cough ... blargh ... mind you, since the old carb-reduction I feel so much better in virtually every other way it kinda balances out :)

One other thing I noted was that my biceps have gone ... I mean, I've always been quite muscular and had fairy good biceps but they seem to have disappeared over the last two weeks ... weird ... that it co-incides with the pain ?

Anyhow, onwards and upwards, back to work ;)

J/xxx

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I would discuss it with your doctor ,Jem ,it could be a side effect of one of your meds or it could be something else.Do use weights at all? the biceps disappearing act could be due to your weight lose.I use weights to keep them toned up and try and forestall the dreaded 'bingo wings'!! :lol: :lol:

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Jem,

There was a post here earlier (on a different thread) about the half life of simvastatin, not being that long, and that any muscle pain cause by simvastatin would dissipate after the drug had worked it's way through the system. This does contradict Graham's experience.

It's still worth going to the GP with to get some guidance one way or another.

Regards, Tubs.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Jem said:
... fairy good biceps ....
Fairy biceps - are you growing wings :roll: :?:

I found simvastatin caused intense muscle pains, which eased within a week of stopping it.

Jem

Dislikes
hmmmm ... so the general concesus of opinion is that yes it is very possible that simvastatin could've caused the pains, or at least pains similar to this; but it's unlikely that it could have gone on for two weeks since the dose ... thanks, that is clarifying things in my mind :)

the other opinions include the fact that I was typing in a cold room earlier and missed an L hahaha ... fairy muscles is what they've turned into!! point taken Sue about the weights, of course when dear son was littler I was always hefting him about and got some good workouts from that (joy!) so maybe I need to lift something else - and not pints (****!) cake anyone? no, double ****!!

xxx

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Couple of two litre milk containers filled with water are good weights ,Jem.Either that or buy some hand weights,just don't do what I did and nearly knocked myself out with them!! :lol: :lol:

Jem

Dislikes
I have some weights (and, erm, a multigym) in the garage ;) ... must revisit it sometime!

and hey, now it's been 2 months since I fell asleep at the wheel (not joking, that incident was FAR from funny) or in the middle of a playbarn filled with screaming children, there's no excuse not to!!

thanks for helping me get off my bum!

xxx

Katharine

It could be worth getting your blood tested for creatine kinase. If this is raised it indicates statin induced muscle damage.

Jem

Dislikes
thank you - I am scheduled a fasting hbac1 in two weeks, if I *ahem* added a tick to the creatatine box - would that do the job?

You are greatly appreciated K!

J/xxx

Katharine

The hbaic is done on a blood bottle with EDTA in it and the creatine kinase is done on a different heparinised sample so you would need to request it.

If you say to your doc that you are getting unusual muscle pains and wondered about the possibility of statin damage being investigated I really don't think they would have any objections.

Jem

Dislikes
phew ... OK I will go see him and ask - thanks for your advice :)

J/xxx

Jem

Dislikes
Seen a doctor this week on the subject, did not feel blood investigation was necessary, but DID register a "sensitivity/allergy" to simvastatin on the system so it won't be given to me again ... currently trialling atorvastatin instead ~ day 2.5 and thus far my shoulders are still ok :) - Will probably take a good week to thoroughly check it out :) thanks for the advices Katharine

J/x