Sitagliptin 100mg - URGENT PLEASE HELP

matilda1972

Hello Everyone,

I take 100mg of Sitagliptin in the morning with breakfast along with 2 Gliclizide in the morning and 2 at night (max dosage) , but really stupidly, by mistake when I took my Glic this evening I took another Sitagliptin as well.......can't believe I did it!!! What an idiot!!!! I have called the NHS 111 helpline but so far they have not called me back.

Do you think it will be ok, I am very nervous that I might have done myself some damage. I checked my BG and it was actually a bit high at 8.8 but that was only 20 mins after I took my tablets, will do it again in a little while.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Everyone,

I take 100mg of Sitagliptin in the morning with breakfast along with 2 Gliclizide in the morning and 2 at night (max dosage) , but really stupidly, by mistake when I took my Glic this evening I took another Sitagliptin as well.......can't believe I did it!!! What an idiot!!!! I have called the NHS 111 helpline but so far they have not called me back.

Do you think it will be ok, I am very nervous that I might have done myself some damage. I checked my BG and it was actually a bit high at 8.8 but that was only 20 mins after I took my tablets, will do it again in a little while.

Hi Matilda!

I don't know enough about Sitagliptin to advise, but as both the drugs you are on are blood sugar-lowering and can cause hypos, I would think the best thing is to keep testing your BG through the night and have some quick-acting carb handy in case they start to drop quickly. Keep a can of full sugar Coke or similar near you and drink a couple of mouthfuls if your BG drops low. You might then need to follow-up with a piece of toast or something to keep your BG up. That's what i'd do if I took too much insulin. Hopefully NHS 111 have called back to advise by now.

Take care

Smidge

Unbeliever

Hi Matilda, I take sitagliptin. as well as metformin and a small dose of glimepiride. I adjust the times for my medications with my HCps knowledge but have occasionally made a mistake and taken two sitagliptin in one day.
I was unhappy about this and I had some stomach problems and felt ill the next day but nothing serious.
Of coutrse we are all different and much depends on how you are afffected by the other drugs too I would agree Smidge that the first thing to beware of is your bgs running too low but sitagliptin and meformin both affect the liver and this is why I was ill. I would imagine dehydration is somehing to look out for too.
Sitagliptin alone will not cause hypos . I tend to take sitagliptin before my main meal which is generally in the evening but occasionally at lunchtime.
I hope all will be well . Try not to worry too much... IT2 hypos are easily treated but you may have asleepless night.
I wold thnik your worst problem is likely to be an upset stomach.

Last edited by a moderator:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello Everyone,

No problem, the sitagliptin are different to gliclazide, so won't be a problem.
I would question taking gliclazide at night thought, as they tend to be a morning only med.

Reactions: 2 people

matilda1972

Thanks for your replies, sorry I have not gotten back on the forum sooner! I called the NHS 111 line and they spoke to a Tox Centre and apparently too much Sitagliptin is toxic so I had to go to A&E and be monitored for 6 hours!! Everything was fine, as I thought it would be so it was just me panicing, but better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for all your help.
xxx

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for your replies, sorry I have not gotten back on the forum sooner! I called the NHS 111 line and they spoke to a Tox Centre and apparently too much Sitagliptin is toxic so I had to go to A&E and be monitored for 6 hours!! Everything was fine, as I thought it would be so it was just me panicing, but better to be safe than sorry.

xxx

Better safe than sorry I agree, but it may have been a bit over the top.

Januvia actually comes as a 200mg tablet though, and from the reports on it regarding toxicity

• Single dose toxicity

Single dose studies with sitagliptin were performed in mice and rats. The highest non-lethal dose in
mice was 1000mg/kg (122 times the human exposure based on AUC). In rats the highest non-lethal
dose was 2000mg/kg for females and 3000 mg/kg for males (271 and 182 times the human exposure
based on AUC respectively).

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

xxx

Thanks for your update and your post could help others too :)

Maybe consider a medication box to put your meds in ?
Then it could help with remembering meds been taken or need to take kind of thing .
Chemists could advise you with this .

I myelf use a weekly meds box [days of week marked on it]
Just an extra idea for you .