Sitagliptin and LADA. Anyone else?

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Evening, I have been on metformin 500mg x4 daily for about 3 months and suffered serious side effects, I have now been prescribed sitagliptin the doctor says these are a last resort before insulin which I really don't want to have to do for as long as possible... (I hate taking my BG levels myself hahaha!!! Such a girl!!!) has anyone used this as the doctor was weary of the effects to my levels this may have?

Thanks in advance

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. First what were your problems with Metformin? If it was bowel issues then the SR version normally resolves that. If you are a LADA then Metformin will have little effect but Gliclazide and possibly Sitagliptin are commonloy prescribed to stimulate the pancreas. After that, yes, insulin will follow. Don't worry about insulin. It's easy and enables you to totally control your blood sugar.

Reactions: 4 people

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
I was on SR already, I just couldn't keep hydrated and saw a huge reduction in athletic capabilities I normally run 5k an hour in the gym and 5k home but couldn't manage this...

I understand that by reducing my sugar intake will prolong the insulin requirement... Which is what I am working towards... The only thing with insulin is I work offshore and will become a nightmare medically to sort out which is my biggest concern, no 2 is injecting myself lol (*****!!!)

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes I'm on sitagliptin, it has helped me tremendously with my condition.
If you want the science, there is a good write up on Wikipedia.
It is an inhibitor, that helps with the insulin production and limits the glucagon and glycogen in your blood.
But as a T2, you will have to watch out for lows!
Have you a meter to test your blood glucose levels?

The only way to reduce your risk of having to use insulin is to gain control of your blood glucose levels by changing your eating habits and reduce your carbs and sugars.
Do read the low carb forum, there are great recipes and ideas on there.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Last edited by a moderator:

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated...

Definitely a scary read lol...

I'm 1.5/LADA my doctor believes I will be insulin dependant within 3 years.

After reading the report on sitagliptin, I might opt for insulin lol... And just face the music at work hahaha...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The figures quoted are so minimal that the risk is very minor!
They have to report such information or the drug wouldn't get passed.
It is a very safe drug and far better than dependency on insulin!

In my experience, you would be better on the gliptin!
And of course, a low carb lifestyle!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated...

Definitely a scary read lol...

I'm 1.5/LADA my doctor believes I will be insulin dependant within 3 years.

After reading the report on sitagliptin, I might opt for insulin lol... And just face the music at work hahaha...
The figures quoted are so minimal that the risk is very minor!
They have to report such information or the drug wouldn't get passed.
It is a very safe drug and far better than dependency on insulin!

In my experience, you would be better on the gliptin!
And of course, a low carb lifestyle!
Let's just say the jury may be out on that. I wouldn't like to speculate on whether this drug or insulin would be better for the OP.

But we can definitely agree on a low carb lifestyle being key. :)

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Thanks again for the feedback... I have cut back massively one question though I meant to ask my nurse quite a daft one really in relation to carbs, when we speak of low carbs I we talking about carbs overall or sugary carbs?

Thanks inadvance

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks again for the feedback... I have cut back massively one question though I meant to ask my nurse quite a daft one really in relation to carbs, when we speak of low carbs I we talking about carbs overall or sugary carbs?

Thanks inadvance
We're talking about carbs overall, because all carbs get converted to sugar in the body anyway. The only difference is how fast this happens.

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Linagliptin, which is still one of the gliptin family and it worked for months with minimal side effects. But now I am noticing major spikes after meals. I am the opposite from you, I want insulin but my doctor wont prescribe it... lol. Low carb works, but can be difficult to start with. Carbs are everywhere!

Reactions: 3 people

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
I'm trying at the low carb stuff but like you say there everywhere haha... And it's against everything I've done previous I have a physical job (when I'm away that is) and I train a lot I completed 5 marathons in 5 days only 2 Augusta ago so my training and work level have always dictated a reasonably higher than normal carb intake, I remember my nurse mentioning 25g per day I maybe mixed up there as that is a very small amount what should I be aiming for regards quantities per day as a guideline only... I don't intend for this to run my life so just as a baseline I'm currently cutting my calories and over a 2 month period I've lost a stone which is great news just seems difficult to cut the carbs down unlike calories seemed easier I will have a look at the page mentioned above for recipes thanks again for everyone's help

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm trying at the low carb stuff but like you say there everywhere haha... And it's against everything I've done previous I have a physical job (when I'm away that is) and I train a lot I completed 5 marathons in 5 days only 2 Augusta ago so my training and work level have always dictated a reasonably higher than normal carb intake, I remember my nurse mentioning 25g per day I maybe mixed up there as that is a very small amount what should I be aiming for regards quantities per day as a guideline only... I don't intend for this to run my life so just as a baseline I'm currently cutting my calories and over a 2 month period I've lost a stone which is great news just seems difficult to cut the carbs down unlike calories seemed easier I will have a look at the page mentioned above for recipes thanks again for everyone's help
I eat 100-150 carbs a day and that seems low enough to reduce my BGs and I have lost weight. There can be a few days at the start where you feel a bit low on energy but once your body gets used to getting most of its energy from fat, most people report feeling great and having more energy than when they were running on mainly carbs.

Take your time, there's a lot of info to process... you are on the right track. :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Let's just say the jury may be out on that. I wouldn't like to speculate on whether this drug or insulin would be better for the OP.

But we can definitely agree on a low carb lifestyle being key. :)

The benefits outweigh the risks!

If the OP goes on a lifestyle change, then he probably would not have to take the gliptin, but it would be easier than coming off insulin dependability.

Croc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
I was on sitagliptin and metfomin but it didn't really do anything for me. After a couple of years I ended up dropping the gliptin and having the once a day insulin which has made a massive difference to my numbers. Injecting hurts less that finger pricking, ie, not at all.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I'm on sitagliptin, it has helped me tremendously with my condition.
If you want the science, there is a good write up on Wikipedia.
It is an inhibitor, that helps with the insulin production and limits the glucagon and glycogen in your blood.
But as a T2, you will have to watch out for lows!
Have you a meter to test your blood glucose levels?

The only way to reduce your risk of having to use insulin is to gain control of your blood glucose levels by changing your eating habits and reduce your carbs and sugars.
Do read the low carb forum, there are great recipes and ideas on there.
Hi. I think you will find Sitagliptin stops working as your blood sugar nears normal so doesn't itself cause hypos.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I take Linagliptin, which is still one of the gliptin family and it worked for months with minimal side effects. But now I am noticing major spikes after meals. I am the opposite from you, I want insulin but my doctor wont prescribe it... lol. Low carb works, but can be difficult to start with. Carbs are everywhere!
I had the same problem with my GP refusing insulin but when my HBa1C shot up to over 8% she offered it. Do lean on the GP if your HBa1C it too high against NICE guidelines as the GP has to offer a solution without you having to starve yourself. The insulin has been salvation for me.

Reactions: 5 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi. I think you will find Sitagliptin stops working as your blood sugar nears normal so doesn't itself cause hypos.

Reading from my meds info.

This medicine is unlikely to cause low blood sugars because it does not work when your blood sugar is low. However, when this is used in combination with a sulphonylurea or insulin medicine Hypoglycaemia can occur.

Possible side effects.
If taken with metformin.
Common. May affect up to 1 in 10 people. Low blood sugar.

In my experience, it stops hypers and that stops my hypos. But it has the possibility to occur in the right circumstances. It is a diabetic blood glucose lowering drug!

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
I was on sitagliptin and metfomin but it didn't really do anything for me. After a couple of years I ended up dropping the gliptin and having the once a day insulin which has made a massive difference to my numbers. Injecting hurts less that finger pricking, ie, not at all.

My numbers are pretty good well in the metformin they were nothing over a 6.5 and no lower than 4.3 with my diet changes... So we will see how the Januvia sitagliptin goes over the next few weeks...

Reactions: 3 people

Covichuela

Type of diabetes
LADA
I am on metformin (3x500 mg perday) and staglipina (100mg in the morning). I try to eat low carb but it´s so hard!!! Everything has carbs on it!! Sometimes, even if I have no carbs for dinner (let´s say boiled eggs) my levels are aroung 9-10... My last Hba1C was 7%.... I think I´ll need insulin soon... :(