Sitagliptin

A

Anonymous

Is anyone here on more than 100mg of Sitaglyptin ?

I am taking 100mg (one tablet) with breakfast but I think it's wearing off before the following morning, so would like to take one in the evening as well. Anyone here doing 200mg or more ?

(obviously will check with the surgery before I do this).

C

catherinecherub

Re: Sitaglyptin

I have looked in the BNF and it seems the maximum dosage is 100mg.

sallylondon

I take Sitagliptin (Januvia) 100mg but I take mine in the evening after dinner. Is it worth moving your timing around rather than adding a tablet?

A

Anonymous

Possibly - I might try moving it until supper time to see if it covers breakfast

korfila

Today i am starting my first 100mgs tablet,
i hope it goes well,
i am tired of the Metformin RUNS,

i will start on the eving after supper,
thanks,
kene,
:|

A

Anonymous

Good luck with the Sitaglyptin, but if Metformin is giving you tummy trouble then you should insist on swapping to the slow release SR version - it makes the world of difference.

korfila

Swimmer2
i was on Metformin 2 tabs of 500mgs in the evenings, but the same results, so i was further reduced to 1 . same RUNS, so today my DN has started me on this Sitagliptin.

i shall start tomorrow morning after breakfast, want to be awake in case of Hypos, as i am also taking gliclazide 40mgs morning and 40mgs evenings,

thanks,
kene,

A

Anonymous

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there is a great risk of hypos with Sitaglyptin. Is that what you've been told?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi swimmer...
Gliclazide meds can give a hypo if not eaten enough to cover it.
I did this when 'was' on gliclazide meds twice and quickly learnt to make sure
to eat enough to cover it.
I only eat small portions and then buzz around doing things!
Got caught short twice with this style of routine...
Anna.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My GP suggested being careful about hypos when she added sitagliptin to gliclazide but that's because sitagliptin may reduce you down to near normal and then the gliclazide can make you go down further; sitagliptin doesn't cause hypos itself.

redmate

hi :D i have been on metformin for about 4 months now after finding out i had been misdiagnosed last year. i have managed to get my hsb1 down from 93 to 71 which in three months was with diet and exercise but then was advised to go on metformin. i had terrible time with bad stomach but manged to put up with symptoms till they died away month later but after another month or so stomach came back so i spoke to nurse and requested to go on slow release and seems to have helped and gone down to 68, but i found that the weight i lost all went back on even though my stomach was extremly bad!! is this normal as i was so pleased to have got that far :( also they now want me to go onto simvastatin but i am worried about if will cause hype's as i work in a cash enviroment and need to know if or how bad you can get dizzy spells as i already get them normally and will these cause weight gain as i see some types do. though i have heard some people lose weight so has anyone got any advise for me please thanks

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
swimmer2 said:
Good luck with the Sitaglyptin, but if Metformin is giving you tummy trouble then you should insist on swapping to the slow release SR version - it makes the world of difference.
I totally agree. The normal metformin made me physically sick. The slow release still make my stomache a little achy but bearable.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Simvastatin is a statin which is used to reduce cholesterol levels. It is not a diabetes drug as such and will not cause hypos; in fact it may slightly increase your blood sugar. What diet approach are you following? I hope it isn't the standard NHS 'eat plenty of starchy carbs' regime which will make your diabetes and weight worse. Do follow the low-carb diet advice on this forum and use your meter to find out which foods affect you most; perhaps you already do this. There are other tablets that can be added to the Metformin if necessary. Note that Metformin doesn't normally increase weight but the opposite so I think diet may be part of the weight gain cause?

redmate

thanks for advice guys. i have been on slow release for two weeks now and onlly having few bad days with tummy. after speaking to doc i am now going to start 100 of sitaglipton (not one said for cholestoral )my cholesterol level is all but normal for a diabetic now :>) )just hoping this not start my tummy off again wish me luck. dont have a meter nurse said i dont need to do this. or maybe they not want to give me one lol is it worth asking for one then?

mrawfell

Everyone says changing to the SR version of metformin, solves tummy problems. Not for me. I have constipation though not the runs. It can get extremely frustrating, when you can spend a couple hours wanting to go, but can't.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Ref the meter you can ask but probably not get due to cost of the strips. Try to get one free from the manufacturers or buy a Codefree (I think that's the name) from the web as the strips are much cheaper. The NHS doesn't understand the impact of diet on diabetes but we do (!) and you need a meter to find out what foods affect you. Much better to be scientific about it rather than follow NHS guesswork.