Site Infection

FindingNemo

Had my pump for 3 1/2 years and this has not hpened before! I decided to change my pump a bit early, cos the site was painful, but assumed it was because it was positioned under the waistline of my jeans!

Took the line out and it instant oozed a lot of green pus. (ewww) the area that was under the sticky bit is very red, hot and hard, though has stopped ooozing now.

My BMs have been worse than usual today, now I know why!!

Is there anything I should be doing with the infected area, other than keeping it clean and dry?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Go and see doctor asap!!You need an antibiotic for that. If you think it can't wait for an appointment go to local ED.

FindingNemo

Seriously? Thats a bit frustrating, was only in the GPs at 3pm with my sons ear infection!

Will book something 1st thing. Thanks Sue.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
That sounds soooo painful Nemo,i agree with Sue about getting it treated asap.In the meantime if you begin to feel unwell and your temperature rises and if you have keytones present in your urine of 3+, go straight to A&E. Hope your better soon, take care
Suzi x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you have some antiseptic, if not salt,bathe it, but since it's under the skin,antibiotics will probably be necessary.

FindingNemo

Yeah, it is all under the skin, its like a hot, red, hard boiled egg. The hole from the catheter has actually sealed, so am a little paranoid that if there is more goo, which I expect there is, that it will explode out. I do feel rough and I am ketotic, though am also apyrexial but am inclined to wait until morning now I have insulin going into fresh site and had bolus doses.

suzi

Dislikes
Hi Nemo,
please humour me and go to A&E, MY Mum had a similar thing happen to her after a hysterectomy, where an infection appeared, she went down hill very quickly, and came back up again wuikly after antibiotics. You sound as if you need an antibiotic delivered through a drip. Phone the hospital or speak to the Dr on call, i'm sure they'l advise the same.
Suzi x

ChocFish

FindingNemo

Please can you call NHS direct tonight and ask for best advice? I am really worried for you, I had an abscess on my stomach, the opening sealed itself, the abscess remained hot and hard I thought it was going to be ok overnight and would see a doctor in the morning, I ended up in hospital on a drip and the area needed to be cut open. The doctor explained that if the opening had not sealed itself the abscess would have discharged itself, instead it went on 'boiling' under the skin and spreading, and gave me septicaemia, in just a few hours, PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE call for advice, skin infections can spread really fast overnight and mine happened 12 years ago and I still have the scars to prove it.

Love from

Karen x

FindingNemo

Just got back from A&E now. I ummed and rrrrrr'd, but after still having 4+ketones, high BGs etc etc, decided that it probably shouldn't wait til morning. I had a bag of fluids, ABGs, which were fine and a good old poke by a very scrummy surgeon, who also drew all over me. Been sent home with oral abx and a list of things to watch out for and am to go to my GP on Thursday.

thank you.
x

suzi

Dislikes
Hi Nemo,
I'm so relieved you went to A&E,i felt very anxious for you last night. I hope your recovery is a quick one, and make sure you take your medication ( you need a little scolding now and again :lol: )and good luck with the Drs on Thursday.
Take care
Suzi x

FindingNemo

Eeek, I though all was going well, the redness appeared slightly less, and was within the ine the rather delicious surgeon drew on my belly, but now it is hurting more again and is definitely over the line. Its a ******.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Back you go to the doctor.There's probably some pus needs draining.

FindingNemo

I am going in the morning. Last night the surgeon felt that it was more cellulitis than abcess, therefore not possible to drain.

suzi

Dislikes
What did your delicious surgeon say to do if it went over the line? whatever it was, do it asap, and not at 3 in the morning! unless you'd like him to draw all over you again, you naughty girl :lol:
suzi x

FindingNemo

He said to get it checked out, but didn't put a timescale on it. The thing that they seemed most concerned about is if I become pyrexial, which I am not. In fact that was the difference between them keeping me in for IV abx and allowing me to go home with the oral abx. Was obviously told that if I became really unwell, to go straight back, but I am ok. I took the 1st dose at the hospital, then will have had a full days worth today, so am really hoping that by the morning it will be subsiding. It bloody hurts though!

Whatever it is like in te morning, I will be going to GP for check up.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
If you keep the wound open, by bathing with salt, it will drain and hurt less.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
Poor you, I hope its clearing but I wish I'd seen this earlier One thing that Walsh says is you should give insulin by injection until the antibiotic has been used long enough for the site to clear. Once you restart on your pum. (maybe a bit late, sorry ) but you should in any case, 'carefully watch the new site to ensure that an infection does not reappear.' Obviously you have to especially careful with sterile technique .

FindingNemo

hanadr said:
If you keep the wound open, by bathing with salt, it will drain and hurt less.

Its not an open wound Hana. The holes left by a pump cannula are very small and close very quickly. As I explained earlier, it is presenting as cellulitis, so whilst there has been a lot of pus to start with, the hard lump is swelling and increased interstitial fluid, to prod and poke it would only create further swelling and to be honest would be bloody painful! The point of entry has not been open since last night, in fact it is barely visable!