Six natural remedies for lowering blood pressure fast

ratangharami

High blood pressure is no longer just an affliction of the elderly, as more than one-third of young people between the ages of 16 and 34 are now said to suffer from some form of hypertension. And a recent study out of California revealed that, if left unchecked, this cardiovascular malady, even in its mild form, can lead to premature aging and brain damage.

The conventional solution to this growing health epidemic is to simply take more blood pressure medications like angiotensin-receptor blockers, which have been scientifically linked to causing cancer and other serious health problems. But the alternative route, which should really just be called the common-sense route, is to eat more foods and herbs that naturally lower blood pressure without causing any harmful side effects.

Here are six natural and quick remedies that will help you keep your blood pressure in check, and avoid the long-term health pitfalls associated with prolonged hypertension:

1) Raw almonds. Eating just a handful of truly raw almonds every day can make a significant difference in keeping your blood pressure levels in check. A key component of the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension Diet, also known as DASH, raw almonds are rich in monounsaturated fats, which have been scientifically proven to help lower blood cholesterol levels, reduce arterial inflammation, and ultimately lower blood pressure levels.

Even though they are high in fat and calories, almonds also help promote weight loss and the building of lean muscle mass, which means they naturally promote healthy circulation. When eaten in conjunction with other blood pressure-lowering nuts like walnuts, almonds are one of the most powerful cardiovascular "superfoods" available.

2) Cayenne pepper. Arguably one of the fastest foods to lower blood pressure, cayenne pepper is a powerful vasodilator, which means it helps expand blood vessels and improve blood flow. This effect naturally lowers blood pressure levels by increasing the rate at which blood flows throughout the circulatory system, which in turn takes some of the pressure off arterial walls.

Mixing one or two teaspoons of cayenne pepper in either warm water or tea with both honey and aloe vera is a powerful homemade remedy for alleviating hypertension. If this beverage is too spicy for your tastes, taking cayenne pepper capsule supplements is another great option for lowering blood pressure naturally.

3) Coconut water. Rich in potassium, electrolytes, and other important nutrients, coconut water has been shown to help significantly lower blood pressure levels in most of the people that drink it. A recent study published in the West Indian Medical Journal found that drinking coconut water helped 71 percent of participants achieve a significant reduction in systolic pressure, and 29 percent of participants achieve a significant reduction in diastolic pressure. The results were even more amplified when participants drank both coconut water and mauby, a tropical drink made from buckthorn tree bark.

4) Raw cacao. Rich in flavonoids and other anti-inflammatory nutrients, raw cacao is another food-based weapon against hypertension that you will want to keep readily stocked in your health arsenal. Not only do the flavonoids in cacao function as adaptogens to help the body better deal with stress, which is a common cause of hypertension, but they also help regulate stress hormone levels throughout the body, which play a critical role in blood pressure regulation.

Numerous studies have also found that cacao flavonoids demonstrably reduce blood pressure levels upon consumption, resulting in an average blood pressure reduction of 4.7/2.8 millimeters of mercury (mmHg). Cacao flavonoids also help protect the body against stroke and heart disease, which are commonly linked to high blood pressure.

5) Turmeric. Modern science is just barely hitting the tip of the iceberg concerning the superfood capacity of turmeric, also commonly known as curcumin. But one of the herb's already known benefits concerns its abilities to significantly decrease inflammation throughout the body, which is a primary cause of high cholesterol and even high blood pressure. By actively reducing inflammation, turmeric helps improve cardiovascular function and maintain healthy blood flow.

When taken alongside non-irradiated black pepper, the primary active ingredient of which is piperine, turmeric is a powerhouse at loosening up blood vessels and clearing the buildup that often leads to high blood pressure. Turmeric is also a natural blood thinner, which is another way this powerful herb aids in the fight against hypertension.

6) Garlic. A 2010 study out of Australia found that garlic is another powerful food-based medicine that naturally lowers cholesterol levels and reduces blood pressure. Taking garlic tablets or capsule supplements is a great way to regularly consume the herb in high enough amounts to derive significant benefits.

violahearz

yes, statistic records show that:
· Every third person in the world (about 40%) has encreased blood pressure and these figures grow every year;
· Men have increased blod pressure more often than women;
· 13% of the deaths are associated with high blood pressure;
too bad....

selucka

I have high blood pressure and I'm T1 diabetic. I've tried coconut water. I tried using cayenne peppers instead of regular pepper, but haven't notice a difference. Also, I use garlic - I love to put it in my salad. Still, no noticeable effect. Anyway, here's some more foods for lowering blood pressure.
Raisins
If you suffer from hypertension, have raisins stirred into your morning cereals. Combine raisins with nuts. For best results eat a handful of raisins three times a day.
Bananas
Eating foods that are rich in potassium can affect your blood pressure level. An ideal example of food that contains a lot of potassium and is not too expensive is a banana.
Watermelons
Consuming watermelons will improve the health of your heart. This healthy fruit contains a special amino acid which lowers blood pressure.
Tofu
Not only tofu, but eating all soy products can help people who struggle with elevated blood pressure as soy contains an ingredient called isoflavone which may help to lower blood pressure. Green tea also contains isoflavone.
Chocolate
Not expected to be on this list, but chocolate contains flavone, which may help to lower blood pressure. Do not buy a classic chocolate, but rather purchase a chocolate containing a high percentage of cocoa (at least 70%). Such chocolate is also filled with antioxidants. Do not overdo it though, as chocolate is very calorie-rich.
Chili
Many dishes can spiced with hot chili. Chili is rich in capsaicin, a substance proven to lower blood pressure.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Here are some more:

Mauby:
Mauby is a popular drink or syrup in the Caribbean region. It is famous for its very distinct flavor and bitter aftertaste. Most of it is available in syrup form and from which it can be mixed with water, cola, and other drinks. There are also ready-to-drink Mauby tea bottles that are usually chilled. Some people prefer Mauby syrup in hot water similar to tea, while others prefer them in sweetened chilled bottles. The main ingredients of Mauby include the bark of a tree, sugar, and other spices for flavoring.
A small study investigated effect of mauby on hypertensive patients (1). Significant decrease in blood pressure was observed in group of patients receiving mauby drink for two weeks. Systolic, as well as diastolic pressure has been lowered by 40%.

Green Coffee
Blood pressure is related to oxidant stress. Oxidant stress is increased, and antioxidant mechanism activities are reduced in hypertensive patients. Antioxidant vitamins (C & E) reduce blood pressure and improve blood vessel endothelial dysfunction in
patients with hypertension. Ascorbic acid scavenges oxygen free radicals and improves endothelium-dependent vasodilatation by restoring nitric oxide activity in essential hypertension. Chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, and ferulic acid have antioxidant potencies that are the same as or a little weaker than that of ascorbic acid. The antioxidant property of chlorogenic acid, which is the main component of green coffee extract and of the metabolites of chlorogenic acid, might improve endothelial dysfunction and reduce blood pressure. A water-soluble green coffee bean extract has been shown to be effective against hypertension among people with high blood pressure (2). The study demonstrated that the daily intake of 93 mg of green coffee extract (50 mg of chlorogenic acid) reduced systolic and diastolic blood pressure by 4.7 mmHg and 3.2 mmHg, respectively.

Nigella sativa
Black cumin (Nigella sativa) is a flowering plant, native to southwest Asia. The plant has been used primarily in candies and liquors. In many Arabian, Asian, and African countries, black seed oil is used as a natural remedy for a wide range of diseases. Administration of Nigella sativa seed extract for 8 weeks has been demonstrated to reduce systolic and diastolic blood pressure in a dose-dependent manner and lowered the levels of total and LDL-cholesterol in patients with mild hypertension (3). Reduction in blood pressure was statistically significant an it was at the level of 2mmHg.

1. Alleyne T, Roache S, Thomas C, Shirley A.(2005) The control of hypertension by use of coconut water and mauby: two tropical food drinks.West Indian Med J.: 54(1): 3-8.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15892382

2. Kozuma K, Tsuchiya S, Kohori J, Hase T, Tokimitsu I. (2005) Antihypertensive effect of green coffee bean extract on mildly hypertensive subjects.Hypertens Res: 28(9): 711-8.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16419643

3. Dehkordi FR, Kamkhah AF. (2008) Antihypertensive effect of Nigella sativa seed extract in patients with mild hypertension.
Fundam Clin Pharmacol.: 22(4): 447-52.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18705755

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
OR...Simply keep active,lose weight where necessary,Don't smoke and drink alcohol in moderation. :D

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
paul-1976 said:
OR...Simply keep active,lose weight where necessary,Don't smoke and drink alcohol in moderation. :D

Do you know something really strange?

That worked for me as well and I didn't have to eat or drink anything that made me want to gip ;)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Banana ,water melon and raisins are not a good idea for people with diabetes especially ones who are not on insulin
CAROL

Dustybin

I was just about to post the same thing Carol . We can't forget about the diabetes in attempts to lower blood pressure.

The targets for Bp in diabetics are lower anyway aren't they?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keeping a balance when diabetic is a nightmare anyway :evil:
CAROL

sldint

Thanks for sharing such useful information. The information provided is very very niche and this information is not available so easily. Therefore I thank the writer for the useful input.

[Commercial link removed]

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
sldint said:
Thanks for sharing such useful information. The information provided is very very niche and this information is not available so easily. Therefore I thank the writer for the useful input.

[Commercial link removed]

Well of course you like this post being as your flogging something yourself. :roll:

Unbeliever

The cayennne pepper advice for hypertension reminded me of a wonderful book I used to have about herbalism. Much of the information in it has now neen absorbed into the mainstream but I remember the author advising anyone who thought they were having a heart attack to sip a glass of water to which cayenne pepper had beeen added while waiting for the ambulance,
Not the first thing one might think of but said to be very effective,
Has anyone tried it?