Skiing or Snowboarding

zach692

Hi all

My name is Zach Williams I am a product design student from Bournemouth university, I am gathering research about people with diabetes skiing and keeping their insulin pens and cartridges safe while skiing or snowboarding, I was looking to speak to people who have had problems keeping their insulin safe or have pain from injecting the insulin because it is cold.

If people could contact me about their personal experiences while skiing this would be greatly appreciative.

Please leave some replies!! :thumbup:

Zach

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ski but haven't done since diagnosed diabetic this year so I haven't experienced any issues yet

There's bound to be someone along who has!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My skiing is in the Pyrenees and Massif Central which are probably don't get as cold as some parts of the Alps and N America.
I use a pump worn on the waistband of my salopettes with jacket etc over it. I haven't experienced any problems with insulin becoming too cold. When I used pens then I'd keep my rapid insulin pen in my small daysack with some insulation ie small amount of bubble wrap and a scarf.
The bigger problem can be the glucose meter, its fine if its kept in an inner pocket but then its fiddly to get out and not easy to get out strips and insert strips, hold onto gloves etc. ( probably would be easier with the all in one accuchek mobile but that wasn't available here in France when I got my last meter)
Normally, its OK in my rucksuck , kept in the same way as the pen but I have had a couple of occasions when I've tried to test and got a temperature error either outside whilst skiing or when I test just before lunch in a restaurant. The meter seems to warm up quite quickly inside so that's no problem . If I feel low nowadays, I'll just take some dextrose without testing rather than faff about with the meter outside.

LizG

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
I have a son with Type 1 and we live in the French Alps. Jude ski's a few times a week in the winter and the main problem he has is with the batteries on his test kit which get too cold to work. No problems at all with insulin.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zach692

Ok with the insulin side do you have problems keeping the insulin cool if the temperature gets too hot, if you go on holiday say to a hotter country?

Zach

LizG

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
No we have no problems with insulin. The refill cartridges are kept in the fridge and the one already in the pump has always been ok regardless of hot or cold temperatures. We do avoid it being in direct sunlight by putting it in a case when Jude does sport or if he takes it off it's tucked away in a cool bag.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

spideog

I've not had any problems with the pens or now the pump. As said above though the tester can be a problem if it has got cold.

I do now wear the pump in an SPI Belt so that I can keep it well attached to me and under an extra layer of clothes if it's proper cold.

Seeing as insulin is meant to be stored in the fridge skiing isn't much of an issue for it. Get some way of making a tester work in the cold and wet and I'd be interested.