Skills for life course

squishee

Hi all,

Had a clinic appointment this morning and my consultant mentioned trying to get me on a "skills for life" course.
Just wondering if anyone else has done one. What are they like? Is it worth doing?

Thanks!

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
My view is all courses are worth doing even if you only learn 1 new thing it's a day or few out, meeting people.

C

catherinecherub

Hi squishee,

I wonder if your Consultant was referring to a Dafne course or similar to give you the skills to manage your diabetes?

squishee

Gappy, I was thinking that myself and I will probably do it. I just wondered if anyone else had any feedback from them to give me a heads up.
Bowell, thanks for link but I don't think he was on about me learning to read or write!! I'm fairly competent at those already! ;) I think, as catherinecherub says, it's something similar to a DAFNE course, but from what he was saying it's quite broad and covers living with diabetes on a daily basis. Nutrition, carb-counting etc is only one session.

jopar

I've done the DAFNE course, and I would reccommend all diabetic's to go one a course for carb counting etc..

DAFNE is the best and most of the hospital 'own grown' version don't quite match it but with saying that they are still worth going on..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never heard of the Skills for Life course, if it's as good as DAFNE then you are on a winner.

Nigel