Skin no longer fits - any solutions?

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Well, I am not going to be wearing minis or bikinis at my time of life, but this loose skin is really creeping me out!
How long does it take to shrink back to size? I thought skin came in one size fits all. How come it fits some places and not others?
They say it takes up to two years, but is that when you are younger? Does it take longer after 50 ?
Or is it a permanent feature of weight loss? Does anyone know?

Elc1112

It will depend on a number of factors, skin elasticity being one of them. It may never go 'back to normal'. If you are left with excess skin then there are surgical options you could look at. Maybe give it another dew months and then go see your doctor so they can explain the best way forward.

Well done on losing all the weight though! :)

Defren

spendercat said:
Well, I am not going to be wearing minis or bikinis at my time of life, but this loose skin is really creeping me out!
How long does it take to shrink back to size? I thought skin came in one size fits all. How come it fits some places and not others?
They say it takes up to two years, but is that when you are younger? Does it take longer after 50 ?
Or is it a permanent feature of weight loss? Does anyone know?

Like you mention, I have also heard up to two years for it all to 'shrink back'. I lost weight very, very quickly at one point, but was so lucky that I have no loose skin. That said, I do need to loose more on my tummy (apple shape) so could find I have some there, once the weight is gone. At 46 I am also concerned about this, but as Elc says, possibly best to wait a while then see your GP. I doubt they will fund surgery, but there may be other options available. Good luck.

[edit to add] Congratulations on the weight loss, makes you feel so much better, and so proud, doesn't it? :D