Skin Problems, Itching

Joyola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For the paxt fews weeks I have been getting itchy blotches on my back and stomach.
The itching starts before the blotches appear, they are not bites, and don't seems to have heads.
The patches are about 1cm in size, bur are not regular in shape, and they appear in random places, not enough to be called a rash. Could it be stress? Anyone else had anything like it? Don't really want to bother the GP.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I get itchy when I have consumed a few too many carbs.

C

catherinecherub

There are several threads on the forum about itchy skin @Joyola
Sometimes it is to do with medication and others have found it happens when they overindulge in carbs. I could be an allergic reaction and your G.P. can prescribe antihistamines. It could be lichen planus. Best to get it looked at and diagnosed as sometimes steroid creams are needed.
http://www.britishskinfoundation.org.uk/SkinInformation/AtoZofSkindisease/LichenPlanus.aspx
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/is-itchy-skin-related-to-diabetes.29603/

Positivo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I never had any kind of skin problems, and my skin is REALLY old. That is until my Hba1c went below 50 on two successive blood tests I agreed to try a new approach 3 x 500mg Metformin slow release to see if the results could be maintained.

I came off it after I began, as Elvis said 'itching like a man on a fuzzy tree' Terrible.

Medication adjusted to 60mg Gliclazide and 40mg Sitagliptin.

Was still doing the Itchy and Scratchy Jitterbug (was that in the Dandy or the Beano?)

I suggest people think in terms of generic drugs as opposed to original I mean that my replacement "Gliclazide" came under a different name. I reckon it is about two glucose meter points less effective than the original.

I was shifted from Sitagliptin 50h to a 5mg repeat 5mg alternative and it is possible that there is some easement in the itching - it only wakes me up about four times a night now.

Next step is an appointment with our Practice Nurse, herself a Type One, and who advises from real experience. The Practice Pharmacist is great; does not take offence at any question and is genuinely prepared to consider what a patient asks, and take action. Will report back.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
For the paxt fews weeks I have been getting itchy blotches on my back and stomach.
The itching starts before the blotches appear, they are not bites, and don't seems to have heads.
The patches are about 1cm in size, bur are not regular in shape, and they appear in random places, not enough to be called a rash. Could it be stress? Anyone else had anything like it? Don't really want to bother the GP.
Hi @Joyola
I get them too. Mine are like white pockets under the skin. Very small and of irregular shape. Only visible on itching on my palm of my hands or on my finger sides. I blame the liver. Itching is normally related to the liver.