Skipping Breakfast

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I don't eat breakfast. Never really have, I did as a kid. But can't stomach food 1st thing in a morning.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
When we get up and start flapping around showering, getting dressed etc our muscles are suddenly working and burning energy after a long period of rest (sleep) even our brains use more energy when we are awake, this sudden request for energy needs to be fuelled, either by food, eating breakfast, or our bodies will step in and do it for us via the liver dumping glucose into our blood steam for our muscles to use.

So its important to try to eat something, it needn't be a full English, just a piece of fruit, a slice of toast - Burgen/Nimble etc, some cold meat cuts and or cheese like a continental breakfast.

Not every diabetic is affected badly by the dawn phenomenon, and eating breakfast can stop a liver dump.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
When I got up at 7.30 this morning, my bg was 6.0, I have just had a cup of tea since then. No strenuous activity and after grabbing a shower, I felt a bit off so tested again - 7.7

Says it all really doesn't it?
:roll:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I never used to eat breakfast - but I do now, and definitely feel better for it. I usually just have 1 microwave scrambled egg. Sometimes with a little cheese for taste.

I believe not eating breakfast as a kid (from about the age of 7) cntributed to my Type 2 developing.

P.S - "Busty" days? :wink: :thumbup:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Patch said:
I never used to eat breakfast - but I do now, and definitely feel better for it.

I have to agree Patch, I just couldn't function on a morning without breakfast.

Alliballi

dawnmc said:
I don't eat breakfast. Never really have, I did as a kid. But can't stomach food 1st thing in a morning.

I'm exactly the same...Can't even face a cup of tea....But as I don't eat breakfast, I make sure I keep a check on my blood sugar, until I fancy something, which is usually 3 hours after waking...Then I just eat fruit, and that first cuppa :p

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Most important meal of the day!!

Almond porridge with soy milk ??? It takes seconds to make. is incredibly low carb but high on filling you up. Keeps me going till lunch :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
ShyGirl said:
Hi,

I'm wondering what happens if you skip breakfast?
ON busty days i'm too busy/ibs'y to eat before going out but i've noticed my levels are higher than they should be so finding a way to eat and take my meds is probably a good idea.

Are your levels ok if you skip breakfast? Or worse?

Hi shygirl I have never skipped breakfast, to me its the most important meal of the day, even pre diabetes. I too am very busy and even at times I am run off my feet then I would eat a piece of fruit,a yogurt drink, or a wholemeal bread roll, I'm type 1. Remember the liver dump, it can cause havoc with the BS. Take care and best wishes RRB

angua

Haven't eaten breakfast since starting to low carb - just not hungry, so if its all the same, I'll eat lots of fat and protein, whenever it is that I do feel hungry

ShyGirl

Patch said:
I believe not eating breakfast as a kid (from about the age of 7) cntributed to my Type 2 developing.

P.S - "Busty" days? :wink: :thumbup:

I'm not sure I believe that not eating breakfast can lead to T2 but i've not read much about it.

A

Anonymous

Breakfast literally means ‘breaking the fast’after a long night with no food intake. Energy levels fall increasingly in the duration between dinner and the next morning’s breakfast which can last for as long as 12 hours. Therefore, breakfast is especially important as the first meal of the day as it rejuvenates the body and brain with the crucialnutrients they need after a night’s sleep.

Defren

I don't eat breakfast. I have some coffee to wake me up, then switch to Chai tea and the first meal I have is lunch. It may not be the best way to deal with this, but there is no way I could face food even fruit when I get up. Horses for courses I guess.

keepinglean

Hi, well for me. Skipping breakfast is not really advisable. I prefer skipping lunch because breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You are not advised to skip that meal, it is where you get the whole day energy for all of your school, work and sports activities. And please be reminded that the breakfast meal helps you to be more active, attentive, participative and happy all day long. Proper intake of meal is a must.

AMBrennan

Whilst I generally prefer to have breakfast, skipping it does not have any noticeable effect on my BG.

@phoenix's quote:
“When this occurs, Type 2 diabetes sets in. This type of diabetes occurs when the body does not produce enough or totally no insulin to regulate the blood sugar level,” he explained.
Where did this guy get his doctorate?

gem23:D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I sometimes skip breakfast and my sugar are normaly the same but I suppose it also depends on the type of insulin your using!!!! I have lantus and rapid so the lantus keeps my sugars level even with out food(obv not for to long) and the rapid is used when I do eat, but if you don't find the time to eat you could always use cereal bars I do that way you can eat on the go and take your meds!! :D

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I find that if I eat breakfast, I just get hungry the rest of the day. I've always been an eat to live rather than live to eat type of person. If I could take a pill instead of food I'd be happy.
I was never overweight until I put on 2 stone after a hysterectomy so I think thats what got me diabetic.

Defren

I'm doing the 5:2 fast, and will be skipping lunch as well as breakfast today as I have decided to have my calories at dinner this evening. My BG's do rise slightly during a fast but nothing major, so would assume they would be the same due to me skipping breakfast?

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I too am not a breakfast lover, however I do have a banana, I find this helps, if I don't,I find my BG rises, which I find odd, but a banana and my insulin seem to do the trick. It's quick and easy :)